Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Kayak Instructor

Options
  • 03-11-2011 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone out there is a sea-kayaking instructor and could let me know how to go about it?

I've checked out the ICU website, but I more baffled now than before.

At the moment, I have attained my level 2 kayak- Im more interested in doing sea kayaking instruction so if I need to branch off now to obtain this qualification I will

If anyone can shed some light that would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

If anyone can shed some light that would be great

I am not an instructor but here is my understanding ...

Level 2 Kayak skills is generic. At that point the skills become specific such as Level 3 Sea Kayak skills and Level 3 White water kayak skills.

In general, to become an instructor for a particular level, you must have the skills for the level above, e.g to become a Level 2 instructor you must have passed Level 3 skills, Level 3 instructor must have Level 4 skills etc.

To become a Level 2 instructor you therefore must first obtain your Level 3 skills. I would expect that Level 3 sea kayak skills would be sufficient for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

to become lvl 3 sea instructor you must have a level 4 sea kayaking proficiency and attended ad training course...logging hours same as for the lvl 2. There is no level 2 sea specific award. The level 2 instructor award allows a person to operate in sheltered areas on the sea but if you want to bring people out in rougher sea conditions then the level 3 sea is the one you're looking for

Advertisement