Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gum pain

Options
  • 03-11-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

So another one of these threads. In the past month I had a bit of a hard time and wasn't looking after my teeth/ eating properly. I'm fine now, but as a consequence my gums are sore and bleed quite a bit when I brush, and my breath smells really bad as well as there being a horrible taste in my mouth most of the time. I just rinsed my mouth out with a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water and am going to buy a soft brush toothbrush tomorrow as well as Corsodyl mouth wash tomorrow and use it religiously. Also going to take in as much calcium, vitamin C and iron as I can.

Anything I'm missing? Besides going to the dentist, I won't be able to afford it for a month or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IntoTheAshtray

Signs point to gum disease. Book a dental appointment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Gypsy, what you describe sounds like a condition called ANUG (Acute Necrotising Ulcerative Gingivitis). Do not worry, it sounds alot worse than it is. You have an acute infection in your gums which is characterised by swelling, bleeding, "pounched out" appearance in gums between teeth with greeny/white deposits and a bad taste/smell. It can be associated with smoking and stress but is mostly due to bacterial plaque buildup.

You just need to have your teeth scaled and polished to remove the plaque deposits and usually an antibiotic called Flagyl for a couple of days. This will clear it right up quickly. It will not improve by brushing/corsadyl alone so make an appointment with a dentist to have your teeth cleaned ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clinical Dental tech

Hi Gypsy, you need to go and see your dentist to get a proper diagnosis and a treatment plan to bring you oral health back to an acceptable level.

you can not be diagnosed on a forum !

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

I agree that you shouldn't be diagnosed on a forum ,but davo's opinion was spot on, after I googled it I found more symptoms, like fever and swollen lymph nodes, which I was also suffering. Anyways, alright fine, I caved and went to the dentist, got the scale and polish and now I'm pain free! Thanks guys

Advertisement