Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of research experience, disadvantage for applying to PhDs?

• 03-11-2011 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in my third year of my undergrad degree and up until now my long term plans were to do a PhD and go into research.

However after a year with reoccurring mental health related setbacks I underperformed in my summer exams and ended up with a 2.2. While not a major set back it does mean that I'm unlikely to get any summer research in Ireland or abroad.

Does a lack of experience (aside from the final year project) impair ones chances of getting a PhD?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I dont think so. Once you've done your primary degree you are qualified to apply for a phd. Obviously, if you've done some research before it helps your case, but in most cases (in my experience) previous experience is a 'good to have' but not a 'must have' requirement in phd advertisements.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

The previous research experience doesn't hurt, but the 2.2 might stop you getting over the first hurdle depending on funding provider. At interviews I have found it more important for a candidate to have done their research on the position being advertised! The interview is almost a mini project in itself, with the candidate having to research the material and the prospective supervisor.
    If you haven't done your homework at this point, then it sends out all the wrong kind of signals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Point and advice taken.

I should stress that the 2.2 is in second year. Would that really impair my chances of getting funding considering it's only going to show up on my transcript? My degree grade is only determined partially from this year and next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

It wont really matter that much in Ireland but if you are considering applying abroad (esp in the US), then it is important. It will also give you the opportunity to see if research is for you or not. I never noticed many positions being advertised during my undergrad, so its probably best to contact potential supervisors directly and just ask if they would have any funding. Or perhaps you could pick up a few hours a week unpaid just to get experience - depends on the lab though. Generally when asked by our supervisor whether we would like to take in a student for experience, we say no.......simply because its a huge time-suck for lab staff to have to train you up when you will only be there for a short period of time. Also try looking abroad for summer positions, and look into applying for your own funding too. Join the relevant society for your discipline - they have undergrad rates, go to conferences on in Ireland, meet people and ask about their work. Its good to know what people do when you start applying for PhDs. And most importantly - talk to people that work in the labs before choosing one for your phd! Even if people are reluctant to spill the beans, their hesitance will let you know that they are not happy in that lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

avalon68 wrote: »
    It will also give you the opportunity to see if research is for you or not.

In the OP's case I think this is the most important consideration. After two years I'd guess that they haven't done much project work, and definitely not at PhD depth, so it's important to see if it's for them. It's a different story for final years as they generally have a significant final year project done.

OP, I wouldn't worry about lack of research experience or the 2.2 harming your chances, but I would look for experience if you're really set on a PhD. It's a very, very different world to an undergrad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement