Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Sought- Programming Course

Options
  • 02-11-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am seeking advice on a route to computer programming I am 34 and have worked in accounts the last seventeen years but computers have always been my main interest.

Due to the current economic environment I am looking at expanding my skills into computer programming. I am on a 4 day week so want to utilise the time to learn something new and have been doing some C++ intro study.

I never completed my accountancy qualification and am thinking if I am going back to study it may as well be in something I enjoy.

I was looking at distance courses and the BSC in Computing from the Open University or maybe going the certification route in Java, any suggestions for other options much appreciated

Sorry for the long winded post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭seventyeight

sparkles77 wrote: »
    I am seeking advice on a route to computer programming I am 34 and have worked in accounts the last seventeen years but computers have always been my main interest.

Due to the current economic environment I am looking at expanding my skills into computer programming. I am on a 4 day week so want to utilise the time to learn something new and have been doing some C++ intro study.

I never completed my accountancy qualification and am thinking if I am going back to study it may as well be in something I enjoy.

I was looking at distance courses and the BSC in Computing from the Open University or maybe going the certification route in Java, any suggestions for other options much appreciated

Sorry for the long winded post

Hey,

Making the decision to do it is probably the hardest thing so you're off to a good start. Now's a good time of year to start looking at this for Sept 2012.

The OU is quite expensive but of a high standard. Are you limited to distance education or can you go to classes in the evenings?

There are tonnes of short CPD (continuing professional development) courses that could give you the gist (and a qualification) in programming. If you're new to C++ or Java then these are a great place to start rather than some of the Sun/Microsoft certifications which could prove a difficult introduction.

Has it crossed your mind to look for a course that mixes Computing and Business (Accounting / Finance)? It'd be a shame not to capitalise on all those years of experience. It's worth more than you think.

I went back to college recently after about 12 years out so I know the difficulties - mixing job, family and college is incredibly difficult. But it'll be worth it in the end. If you need advice on specific courses etc just ask, I've probably checked it out already :)

Advertisement