Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitting niggles with driving insurance.

Options
  • 02-11-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry for jumping straight into this - but I have some worries and could really do with some advice and possible guidance to ease my mind. Sorry if I missed a similiar thread.

For the first time, I've gone to get my own insurance after been a named drivers for the past two years. I got a good deal with FBD. So applied online, paid for it (well, they took the money out! :p )

Anyway, to the issue. The previous insurance has been very lethargic with getting the proof that I was a named driver out to me. When they were contacted last week about it, they mentioned it could take up to seven days (it's with 123, who have to go through Travellers who they don't work with anymore.

Anyway, so they said it could take seven days - but who knows if that's a case of it taking seven days to get it from Travellers, or seven days total.

The reason for my worry is that FBD have sent me out a 'send your stuff in or we will cancel in 10 days. Which has me rather concerned, as you might imagine. I feel a little powerless, since it's nothing I can do with it about it. All down to the other crowd to get.

So the letter from FBD also reccomended that I should cancel what I've done (I assume if I do that, they'll give me my money back, right?) or they will cancel it. Some people have said this could be just a veiled threat to get the stuff in. NBut that doesn't stop me worrying about it. They gave ten days to get it in (another question I do ask.. is that ten working days, or ten days total?)

Anyway, any advice is much obliged. I know I might sound like a bit over sensitive but given this is the first time I've tried going out on my own for insurance, I'm tetchy and don't want to be messing things up for myself long term by screwing it up.

Thanks

RacersEdge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

its generally 10 working days. Ring them up and explain the problem and see if they will give you more time to get the documents in.

There is a cooling-off period for distance selling and they could choose to cancel from then or from the time the ten days is up. It would state it in in the letter so you will need to double check.

Most insurers will give you more time once you ring them and explain the situation. Travelers have pulled out of the market totally since the start of October but still have staff dealing with existing or previous business like yourself so it will get sorted.
    You can get nde(named driving experience)letters emailed to you as MOST companies accept copies so you could ask them to do that if it speeds it up. Main thing is to tell your new company straight away about possible delays.

No brainer? Really?? What has the post got to do with OP's quesion at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Would the policyholder you were named with still have the certs showing your name. Could get you by until official proof comes.

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Would the policyholder you were named with still have the certs showing your name. Could get you by until official proof comes.

Not sufficient. it's not evidence of having had no claims during the period which is the purpose!

• Advertisement

peteb2 wrote: »
    Not sufficient. it's not evidence of having had no claims during the period which is the purpose!

Exactly there is no proof that they have been named on it for the said years.

Advertisement