Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Disapointing Albums of 2011?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are your albums you were very dissapointed with. These are my choices:

My Dying Bride - Evinta - I decided to download this album recently and I was dissapointed with it because there were no guitars, drums, bass etc. The music itself wasn't half bad, but I just couldn't get into it. I much prefer the My Dying Bride of old.
    Anathema - Falling Deeper - I seen this album in HMV, and it caught my eye. I was wondering what it would be like musically, or would it be mainly instrumental songs. I also regocnized all the songs, so that had me even more curious. Thankfully I didn't buy it, and I downloaded first to see what it was like, and if it is any good. When I listened to it however I was very dissapointed because all the songs were softened like the Anathema stuff, and some of the songs like 'We, The Gods' was only three minutes long, whereas the original was over nine minutes long. There were barely no guitars either.
    Opeth - Heritage - The last album by Opeth 'Watershed' wasn't half bad and it did have some stunning songs, and some songs that were not that great. This new album is just too soft, self indulgent and very unfocused. It's not that I don't like 70's sounding rock, but it's just that it's not very memorable, and there are no unforgettable guitar riffs/melodies, vocals and fantastic arrangements like the older albums, especially 'Still Life' and Blackwater Park'.
    Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever - I had a good listen to this album and it was overall pretty dissapointing. Only two songs stood out for me, and they are 'Roundtrip to Hell And Back' and 'Was it Worth It?'The playing and instrumentation is very good, but the problem is that it's just not that memorable, and at times they sound like they are showing off in terms of the guitar playing/riffs.In my opinion it makes for a forgettable listening experience when bands show off too much. I think it may be time for Children of Bodom to call it quits.

Overall 2011 was in fact a very very good year for me for metal albums. With new albums by Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Septic Flesh, Omnium Gatherum, Blood Ceremony, Arch Enemy, Moonsorrow, Demonaz etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Illud Divinum Insanus. I'm not even a huge fan of Morbid Angel, but would expect far better from them than this.

Heritage as well. I can see why some people would dig it from the point of view of musicianship and so on, but I think the songwriting got mislaid somewhere along the line. Bland and dull.

(I quite like Evinta actually).

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Illud Divinum Insanus. I'm not even a huge fan of Morbid Angel, but would expect far better from them than this.

Heritage as well. I can see why some people would dig it from the point of view of musicianship and so on, but I think the songwriting got mislaid somewhere along the line. Bland and dull.

(I quite like Evinta actually).

Heritage was dissapointing in the fact that it just wasn't all that memorable at all. I don't see the point in an album having excellent musicianship, but dull and unmemorable songwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Agree here, Opeth have written albums that grab you by the balls but this was just bleeeeeehhhhhhh, it was ok but mediocre, forgettable and very very tired/exhausted sounding compared to their past triumphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Agree here, Opeth have written albums that grab you by the balls but this was just bleeeeeehhhhhhh, it was ok but mediocre, forgettable and very very tired/exhausted sounding compared to their past triumphs.

I agree also. it's nothing compared to either 'Still Life' or Blackwater Park'. 'Watershed' was an ok album, but unlike 'Heritage', it did have some outstanding songs. 'Heritage' seems to have no real standout songs at all.

Advertisement