Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba L500 19x laptop

Options
  • 02-11-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Has anyone got one of these?

Windows crashed on mine and the code is worn away.
    So I can't install it again.

The code or numbers are all the same on these models.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭PapaSierra

dohcturbo wrote: »
    Has anyone got one of these?

Windows crashed on mine and the code is worn away.
    So I can't install it again.

The code or numbers are all the same on these models.

Any help would be great.

Unfortunately they are not the same. In theory the OEM Windows sticker at the bottom of your laptop is the only proof that your windows is legal. If you did not format your partition containing the old Windows you can still recover the license key from it but it might be necessary to take out a hard drive d connect it to other computer. Can you start windows in safe mode?

If you have Vista you might concider upgrading to win7. Win7 Professional x86/x64 Upgrade is now available for 45 euro on software4students.ie Its lot better than vista.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PapaSierra wrote: »
    Unfortunately they are not the same. In theory the OEM Windows sticker at the bottom of your laptop is the only proof that your windows is legal. If you did not format your partition containing the old Windows you can still recover the license key from it but it might be necessary to take out a hard drive d connect it to other computer. Can you start windows in safe mode?

If you have Vista you might concider upgrading to win7. Win7 Professional x86/x64 Upgrade is now available for 45 euro on software4students.ie Its lot better than vista.

I never uderstood why Microsoft have these stupid stickers on laptops, the heat combined with the wear makes the numbers unreadable very shortly. If they were so inclined they should laminate the sticker after printing the code. After all they do so much fancy crap with these stickers this step should be feasible.
    I'd reccomend the upgrade route myself, or buy an OEM version of Windows 7 HP and install it, I doubt you'll get anywhere with Toshiba or Microsoft with a worn down license cert!

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dohcturbo

The lad in soundstore said they were all the same, maybe I got him wrong and he ment try find the same laptop and just use that code.

He said Toshiba would be would be round 70 euro to get the code of them.

It's a windows 7, we tried a copy of windows 7 and only lasted 2 days before it gave trouble and crashed again in a week.

70 euro is a bit steep for something I should have already.

No it will only go as far as the windows loading page. Says installing files.
    But the lad that fixes my laptop would be able to sort it.

Should u I chance windows or Toshiba for the code, where would I even go to find out?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

dohcturbo wrote: »
    The lad in soundstore said they were all the same, maybe I got him wrong and he ment try find the same laptop and just use that code.

He said Toshiba would be would be round 70 euro to get the code of them.

It's a windows 7, we tried a copy of windows 7 and only lasted 2 days before it gave trouble and crashed again in a week.

70 euro is a bit steep for something I should have already.

No it will only go as far as the windows loading page. Says installing files.
    But the lad that fixes my laptop would be able to sort it.

Should u I chance windows or Toshiba for the code, where would I even go to find out?

If you can get your hands on Toshiba recovery discs you won't need to put in a CD Key, so I see where yer man is coming from. There is a thing called SLIC embedded into the bios which tells a particular copy of Windows to activate automatically, this key is the same but it cannot activate editions via phone/net.
    You probably would have to pay Toshiba for restore discs, €70 seems steep but not suprising, if you don't have the machine long, and its in warranty I would say that the sticker should not have worn out in the short period of time and you should be entitled to another Cert proving ownership of Windows, not sure you'll get anywhere, but no harm in trying, dealing with Toshiba direct is probably the best course of action!

Nick

Advertisement