Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant understand half of this!

Options
  • 02-11-2011 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Here is my assignment which must be done within the next 2/3 weeks.
    My problem is im stuck, i havnt a clue as to what half of it means due to having a fully retarded brain:(
    Could any psychologists on here please for the love of god, dumb (really dumb it down) this down for me so i can have some hope of getting a pass on it. I am in no way asking for someone to do the work for me or anything like that, i want to do it myself, but it seems like a hard task if i cant understand the bloody questions.

The first part i think i get, basically describing the stage where the child is at developmentally?

The 2nd part i think is okay too, but is patchy and the third part is ?

Here she is so
    toys and development
    consists of writing an individual paper of 1000 words linking developmental theory with popular toys. students can choose a particular life stage: baby < 1 year, toddler 1-3 or preschooler 3-6. For the chosen stage students have to describe the profile of cognitive competencies based on the developmental theories studied in class. Applying their knowledge of the developmental stage, students will be asked to identify the kinds of toys most appropriate for the particular age group. A top three list of recommended toys should be discussed and presented in writing. Students are expected to elaborate on how the particular toys stimulate development, in order to inform their toy recommendations. students are required to use academic resources.

1. Description of the cognitive profile of the particular age group.
    2. The top three recommended toy, in addition for each toy, a paragraph describing how the toy relies and contributes to particular stages/processes in cognitive devlopment.
    3.Discussion on the implications of using specific developmental paradigms in order to recommend toys.

and then..... whats this?

accurate interpretation of the brief
    :clear identification of psychological perspectives
    outlining the main concepts and limitations.

:sufficent background information to support the assignment

:analysis with use of examples of the influence of psychological theory.

sorry about the length of it all and sorry if i shouldnt be posting the likes of this on here but i simply cant fail it! Thanks in advance! sorry again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Seems to me, form your post, that you've got the makings of your assignment in front of you. If you proceed along the lines of your 1,2, & 3 you should be ok. The last bit is just reiterates your 1,2,3. and I note the clear directive to use academic resources or 'go and do the donkey-work' in common parlance (and not request others to do it for you! ;)). I've no intention of doing that but some pointers.

You've got to pick a developmental stage (age range) and the cognitive. competencies associated with that stage - look at the developmental theories which you've "studied in class". What do they say about what cognitive skills are emerging/developing at each sage? Try to relate the ideas to your experience of young children - e.g. have you ever seen an 18 month old continuously pick up and drop something? Why, bearing theory in mind, might they be doing that?; what is it demonstrating?...What cognitive skills are being brought to bear in doing a jigsaw? scribbling? pretend play? and so on. You might even push the boat out and explore/consider what's at play when a toy is 'beyond' a child's developmental stage........

I'm not aware of the top 3 of toys but I'd remind you that the box or wrapping paper is frequently of more intrinsic interest than the toy - 'intrinsic interest' is the key to that one. Whether it be a toy or a wrapper ask yourself: is is possible that the kid might be learning something or building on previously acquired skills. Figure that out and you're laughing. If you're like most and can't resist popping bubble wrap you're on the way - that's not as cryptic as it sounds if you really think about it.

I suspect you'll need to revise and attain some understanding of your developmental theorists and would safely say that in doing so your assignment won't seem so daunting. Check your Piaget, Vygotssy, Erikson, or even Bowlby who , if you get past the attachment stuff, has some nice ideas on what 'appeals' to babies.

Good luck with the assignment. Don't be intimidated by it. It's a fascinating area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Big Thicko

ok, thanks cranks! Thank you for taking the time to reply. Time to roll the sleves up now.:)

Advertisement