Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google set to build swimming pool for Irish staff, PR masterstoke or not?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Google set to build swimming pool for Irish staff

GOOGLE IRELAND HAS confirmed plans to build an in-house swimming pool for employees in its new building in the Docklands area of Dublin.
    A spokesperson for the search giant said it will apply for planning permission for a swimming pool and gym at the Montevetro building, which it purchased for just under €100million earlier this year.
    The facilities will be the latest additions to a line of perks enjoyed by Google staff. One former employee at the firm’s Dublin office told TheJournal.ie that workers can avail of a wide range of free food and entertainment.
    Every floor has an area with a Nintendo Wii, table football and a pool table for staff to use, the former staffer said.
    Part of the company’s mission statement is to offer “generous nutrition and fitness benefits.” “You get free breakfast and lunch every day,” the former employee said. “There’s sushi every day; they have pastry chefs on staff. You get free beers on Friday, from five o’clock.”
    The company’s parties are also well known, with one apparently involving the hiring out of entire funfair rides for staff.
    The Irish Times reports that the swimming pool is likely to occupy part of the three basement levels of the Montevetro building, which is the tallest office building in Dublin.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1102/1224306913177.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

*jealous of Google employees*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It should go down swimmingly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Google....Goggles....

Coincidence?

I think not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I bet Google HQ are regretting employing Willy Wonka as their entertainment officer now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Google employees aren't allowed check their personal gmail accounts during work hours.

Or so I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

I need an underwater laptop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

All well and good until someone gets electrocuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

They want plenty of reasons why their employees don't have to leave the building and have a life...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I wanna work for google :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Who the f*ck cares.

I can go to the local swimming pool anytime I like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Google employees aren't allowed check their personal gmail accounts during work hours.

Or so I've heard.

You've heard wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

PR breaststroke more like. AH, it's punnnnnnnnntastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Google....Goggles....

Coincidence?

I think not...

Google goggles - the mind boggles! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Tom wrote: »
    They want plenty of reasons why their employees don't have to leave the building and have a life...

Being happy in your job is probably going to lead to you being more happy overall, being in a good frame of mind would imo make it more likely you will have "a life". Rather than spending your off time dreading going back to a job where you feel under valued, it's not as if hating your job guarantees you won't have a life but liking it is certainly not a negative thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

How is it a PR master stroke?

HR maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

El Weirdo wrote: »

HR maybe.

It's a competitive market out there for employers like google. They need to sell themselves as well as possible to prospective employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

mackg wrote: »
    Being happy in your job is probably going to lead to you being more happy overall, being in a good frame of mind would imo make it more likely you will have "a life". Rather than spending your off time dreading going back to a job where you feel under valued, it's not as if hating your job guarantees you won't have a life but liking it is certainly not a negative thing.

Quite a few ex-Google employees (including one I know personally) aren't actually that endeared with working there. Apparently the pay is pretty poor by industry standards and the working hours are very long and there seems be a lot of fairly crap managers hanging around the company. You can have all the gimicks you like but in the end it does seem that when it comes down to it pay, working hours and good management are the things employees value most.

Edit: I've never worked for Google and don't actually work in the industry so I'm just basing it on what I've been told, I may be incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sure the local boyos dive off the pedestrian bridge or into the stagnant water in Georges Dock

If it's good enough for the locals, the google staff can do the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Could be a hint to the employees by the managment to go and have a wash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭human repellent

I work in the industry, i've heard the hours you put in in google and the pay are pretty dire, im sure a swimming pool costs less to pay employees what they should be getting over set amount of years + it makes google look like good people.

Apple, now thats a company i wouldn't mind working for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Hank Scorpio strikes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Pfft so what, at least i have a soul unlike those office drones

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Makes me sad I'll never work for them. Unless they move into biopharmaceuticals, which isn't that unlikely at this rate.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

El Weirdo wrote: »

HR maybe.

PR in terms of looking for quality staff in a competitive market (that industry is still the workers favour at the mo in terms of jobs choice).

Also it got plenty of media attention and geting people taking about how great you are to your employees and mentioning your brand name is definately PR friendly even though as previously said, the cost of gimmicks is less than decent pay and conditions but yet the majority will think that it's a great place to work in and that they're a great company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Quite a few ex-Google employees (including one I know personally) aren't actually that endeared with working there. Apparently the pay is pretty poor by industry standards and the working hours are very long and there seems be a lot of fairly crap managers hanging around the company. You can have all the gimicks you like but in the end it does seem that when it comes down to it pay, working hours and good management are the things employees value most.

Edit: I've never worked for Google and don't actually work in the industry so I'm just basing it on what I've been told, I may be incorrect.
    I work in the industry, i've heard the hours you put in in google and the pay are pretty dire, im sure a swimming pool costs less to pay employees what they should be getting over set amount of years + it makes google look like good people.

Apple, now thats a company i wouldn't mind working for.

Completely valid points, but why take the job in the first place? Poor pay is poor pay whatever way you look at it and that would be the most important thing for me in choosing a job (assuming there is a choice). HavingCrack do they have a lot of employees pass through the company? ie. come in not like it and move on. When it comes to making the company look good to outsiders, does that really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Big sign beside the pool: "Throw your iPhone in here, AppleCare with take care of it"

Advertisement