Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greece: the economic Trojan horse?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Something that's been playing on my mind the past few weeks and especially the last couple of days, in the wake of Papandreou's latest move (referendum on bailout loans).
    It's my own theory with little in the way of supporting links and whatever and I'm just throwing it out there... it references the usual big international banking conspiracy stuff.

When the eurozone initially launched, Greece was excluded on the grounds that inflation and debt concerns broke the terms of joining.
    Then following some creative accounting from our old friends at Goldman Sachs, they were subsequently allowed entry...less than a decade later, Greece stands between the sucess and possible demise of the euro, the economic zone and perhaps even the union itself, despite a spate of measures over the past couple of years to try and douse the flames of economic meltdown.

Was the input from Goldman Sachs at a crucial stage a move by the shadowy figures that circulate in the US financial sectors to undermine a eurozone that was showing strong growth and had the potential to eclipse the US itself in terms of being one of the world's dominant economic zones and more importantly currencies?
    Papandreou himself is an interesting figure... US born and raised, LSE and Amherst graduate (among others)...now seemingly doing everything in his power to stymy the efforts of the Troika to tackle the whole sorry mess.

Greek bailoits and write offs and the market turmoil surrounding the every move of the greek government are an incredible way to make money for those in the know...buying bonds at the right time and selling them off before the sh*t escalates... and on a longer timescale perhaps managing to undermine an entire economic zone...that's before we get to the stuff about european taxpayers and respective european banks taking big write downs on the two bailouts and last week's "deal".

Anyway it's thin and of course I fail to answer the specifics about who benefits, who controls the rise of politicains etc, but if things play out as they look like doing, it will come down to it being fact that with the help of a major US bank, a country that should never have been allowed into the currency system may well take down the whole house of cards.

Goldman Sachs are no stranger to controversy surrounding their rumoured control of certain branches of the US financial system...they famously "Rule the world" and perhaps even play the king maker of certain US presidents (and undoubtedly treasury secretaries)... is their hand in the Greek's ascendency and almost certain demise merely cooincidence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Don't think it would benefit the US economy for the euro to collapse, a strong euro is good for American exports. It has shown who calls the shots in Europe though, with Merkel and Sarkozy meeting first before every major meeting to set the agenda. The Goldman Sachs issue with Greece is disgraceful, was anything ever done about it, or anyone investigate and locked up? I presume not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I understand that the US economy itself would not benefit in real terms of a euro collapse... I mean more along the lines of the threat to the dollar as the de facto world currency - in terms of oil; the petrocurrency of choice since the 70's...

The weakening of the dollar as a world currency, considering their trade deficit and sovereign debt levels (which were apparent well more than a decade ago) and the emergence of a strong euro currency and it's possible accession to the role of chief petrocurrency has to frighten those who "control" things in the US.

No doubt this debacle has shown who calls the shots here in Europe... but were we really all in the dark about that?
    As for Goldman Sachs, no no-one will get called on that... why it was over a decade ago, look at all they've "achieved" since then....their primary role in the structured removal of $760,000,000 from the pockets of the American people and federal government has gone more or less unpunished and their agents still stroll the corridors of the places that matter within government and financial circles and have the ear of those who make the decisions.

Anyway my theory is thin, and if George is a sleeper agent then he is indeed playing a blinder... he may be out of the role by this evening, but maybe his work there is done? Or maybe I'm being very unfair on a brave statesman merely fighting the corner of his adopted people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Ahh a bit far-fetched, more a rotten apple than a trojan horse really.

The yanks need stable currencies, we all do, "creating" a time-bomb to an unstable currency benefits no one - its not a football game of who has the strongest exchange rate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Not so far fetched if someone is trying to instill a new world order and one world currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Don't think it would benefit the US economy for the euro to collapse, a strong euro is good for American exports. It has shown who calls the shots in Europe though, with Merkel and Sarkozy meeting first before every major meeting to set the agenda. The Goldman Sachs issue with Greece is disgraceful, was anything ever done about it, or anyone investigate and locked up? I presume not

Why do you think that the US economy is so important to those who are charged to steer it? Off-shoring millions of jobs is hardly "good" for the US economy. Tanking the stock market, inflating assest bubbles and decimating both a middle class and a manufacturing base isn't "good" for the US economy. It's excellent for those who wish to starve the beast, slash all programs that are tax-funded and channel revenue to non-necessary private boondoggles like Homeland security or some other such crap like Charter Schools, however.

You think that the collapse of the Euro isn't in the interest of the US economy? Maybe not. But it's sure as shït in the interest of those who couldn't give a fück about the economy.

Dream on. Mario Monti is now in charge of Italy. A former Trilateral Commission scumbag and Bilderberg Group gangster.

And STILL you don't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

You think that the collapse of the Euro isn't in the interest of the US economy? Maybe not. But it's sure as shït in the interest of those who couldn't give a fück about the economy.

How and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Dream on. Mario Monti is now in charge of Italy. A former Trilateral Commission scumbag and Bilderberg Group gangster.

And STILL you don't see it.

Well, enlighten us then. (please, I'm not just being sarky)

Yes my theory sprung to mind on news of that announcement last night...Papandreou's replacement, Lucas Papademos, too is ex-ECB and a head banker in Greece between 95 and 2002 (right around the time they joined the euro currency) and was both educated and taught in US universities. He's also late of the Federal reserve bank in Boston.

You can read as much or as little into this as you like but it's all unfolding very conveniently for some interests.

Another thing on this whole crisis is the fact that it very conveniently takes pressure off the US and their huge debt, by way of negative market focus.
    The very next week after the US voted to roll over their $14 trillion, the focus turned staraight back to Greece and has been there ever since... until the contagion managed to spread, after Papandreous's move during the G20.

papademos_AP111110025777_244x183.jpgMario-Monti-150x146.jpg

Do they grow these guys in the same lab? Or is it just the economist look?

Advertisement