Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Seniors this weekend on Sky

• 02-11-2011 4:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

This weekend sees the World Seniors Championship take place. And this year instead of a highlights package over the Christmas period all the action will be screened live on Sky Sports from the venue in Peterborough.

Appearing with defending champion Jimmy White will be Steve Davis, Joe Johnson, Tony Knowles, Dene O'Kane, Neal Foulds, Nigel Bond, Dennis Taylor, Cliff Thorburn, Darren Morgan and Doug Mountjoy, two other players who qualified are journeyman pros Steve Ventham and Karl Townsend.

I'm really looking forward to this and I expect to see some decent matches, pick of the first round matches would have to be Jimmy White v Tony Knowles, Knowles is still playing quite a bit maybe not anyway near the standard he played at during the '80's but as matches are best of three expect a surprise or two.

If your having a punt I might just suggest putting a few bob on Darren Morgan, he is playing quite a bit lately and very well from what I've heard. Of course anyone who has read my tips on boards.ie before will know of my pathetic success rate!

Obviously there are no ranking points at stake but believe me each and every one of these players will be trying to win and have another or indeed a first world title on their cv.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

This should be good but ill have to record it as ill be away.
    Strange thoughts from Neal Foulds in his interview about the tournament. I find it strange that on one hand he says he loves the game and spends so much time around it and on the other hand he says he has'nt picked up a cue since he retired. Being humble is one thing but saying he cares not whether he wins his match against Dene O'Kane sounds a bit off.
    I was thinking on having a bet on him to beat O'Kane because of Denes stroke in 2009 effecting his left side and he being a left handed player. Still probably worth a bet but i hate that flippant attitude from Foulds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Been a wonderful trip down memory lane so far, enjoyed every minute of it, loved the between frame interviews with the players, this idea might catch on in the pro game for some short format tournaments maybe, its worth trying out anyway. This tournament will only grow and grow in the years to come imo, great stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

God it's like the 1980s, they've even got John Williams out to referee.

Foulds was well beaten, but it's a fun tournament. It's great it's on sky live, and nobody is taking themselves too seriously. Lol at the little interviews they do with the players between frames.

Doug Mountjoy must be a fair age now, he's on later with Cliff Thorburn, so a slow methodical late night couple of frames there.

What was the 'unfortunate incident' the tv commentator refered to that happened during the first frame of Davis v Parrott?. Just switched over at the start of frame2 to heat the commentator say that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

zack01 wrote: »
    This weekend sees the World Seniors Championship take place. And this year instead of a highlights package over the Christmas period all the action will be screened live on Sky Sports from the venue in Peterborough.

Appearing with defending champion Jimmy White will be Steve Davis, Joe Johnson, Tony Knowles, Dene O'Kane, Neal Foulds, Nigel Bond, Dennis Taylor, Cliff Thorburn, Darren Morgan and Doug Mountjoy, two other players who qualified are journeyman pros Steve Ventham and Karl Townsend.

I'm really looking forward to this and I expect to see some decent matches, pick of the first round matches would have to be Jimmy White v Tony Knowles, Knowles is still playing quite a bit maybe not anyway near the standard he played at during the '80's but as matches are best of three expect a surprise or two.

If your having a punt I might just suggest putting a few bob on Darren Morgan, he is playing quite a bit lately and very well from what I've heard. Of course anyone who has read my tips on boards.ie before will know of my pathetic success rate!

Obviously there are no ranking points at stake but believe me each and every one of these players will be trying to win and have another or indeed a first world title on their cv.

What a great weekends snooker, plenty of nostalgia and great to see a full house each day.
    I really hope this becomes a permanent fixture on the calendar.
    And hey surprise surprise i've finally picked a winner!
    Well done Darren Morgan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This really should be a regular fixture. Fantastic format, great to see the older players, beyond those that have been on the legends tour.

I saw they got rid of that '5,4,3,2,1' little piece of music following yesterday afternoon's session. It was kinda funny to hear it in the middle of the game, but I could see how it would put players off.

Cliff was a bit grumpy last night about 'that stupid shot clock' hurrying him up. Lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I didn't really get the point of the shot clock to be honest - at 30 seconds per shot it just acts as an annoyance, and doesn't really do anything to make the game more exciting for the audience or the players. Otherwise, the few bits I managed to watch were great fun. Nice to see John Parrot lashing in some impressive long pots! I'm curious to hear everybody's thoughts on what happened with the ball in hand rule during the match between between John Parrot and Steve Davis. I wonder will that rule come back at all? Doesn't appear to popular, I think it was mentioned in commentary that the majority of players are against it.

Btw well done Zack on calling Morgan, you'd have got a good odds on him to win it I'm sure.

Good call Zack, Morgan sure can still play good snooker!
    He could easily prosper on the main tour but i think he hates the whole pressure side of the game, even tho he held himself together really well, you could see he was in bits!

It was an embarrassment for world snooker when Parrott and Davis decided to not to comply with a stupid miss rule. Although i would say Sky Sports had a say in the inclusion of that rule so as not to infer in their advertisement schedule.

I was really rootin for Davis to win as it would probably have got him an invitation to next years Premier League.

Very enjoyable weekend and some great snooker played from the old guard.

I was wondering, maybe you know Zack, was Ray Reardon invited to play this at any stage? would be great to see him one more time.

I was wondering, maybe you know Zack, was Ray Reardon invited to play this at any stage? would be great to see him one more time.[/QUOTE]

I did hear that Reardon was approached but declined the offer, he is however down to play on most of the 2012 Legends Tour dates so maybe and hopefully once he gets back out there playing with the other boys he may just fancy playing in next years world seniors.

All they need now is to bring back my old favourite Perrie Mans and they would have a proper world seniors !!

It makes u think, if Alex was alive and well he would love this tournament and would probably even lead to or already have a proper seniors tour in place.

Snookers popularity has never fully recovered from his sad demise.

• Advertisement

It makes u think, if Alex was alive and well he would love this tournament and would probably even lead to or already have a proper seniors tour in place.

Snookers popularity has never fully recovered from his sad demise.

To be honest and in my opinion Alex probably would have shunned this event, in his eyes it would'nt be big enough for him to showcase his talent. And knowing Alex he would have had all types of demands and make sure that the event was all about him plus you can be sure he would want an appearance fee.

It's only the second year of the seniors, it has been well recieved with good attendance figures and was televised live on both days.
    Only for the tireless work and drive of Joe Johnson this event would never have come to life and he deserves all credit to him.

Don't get me wrong there will never be another like Alex, he was a one off but snooker never really suffered without him. When Alex retired from the circuit it coincided with the end of the Rex Williams 'it's all about me days' as chairman of the WPBSA days which led into the diasterous spell of Sir Rodney Walker, sponsors were dropping like flies, smoking bans hit further sponsorships and the game went into a decline that it you were a pro you had the misfortune of playing in just six ranking events a year, seven if you were invited to the Masters.

Now snooker has turned the corner, at last count i think there was 27 events this season to play in, there is more money in the game and players now have the luxury to pick and choose which events they play in although with the recent changes in the ranking structure you will find that they will play in most.

Alex will never be forgotten and rightly so, he was one of the greats of the game, he should have been a world champion multiple times but his attitude and behaviour put paid to that, however you ask any of the top players of a certain age who their idol was, you can be sure Alex along with Jimmy White was their inspiration.

Testament to Alex's legacy was the attendance at his funeral August '10 of not only Stephen Hendry who said he owed it to Alex to be there but younger players such as Shaun Murphy and Mark Selby who although did'nt play in his era just felt they had to be there to pay respect.

Seriously doubt Davis would get an invite to the premier league even if he won the final with a brace of centuries. There would need to be serious shenanigans in Barry Hearn towers for Davis to get in at this stage.
    I wanted him to the final win too, mainly because i backed him at 15/8 going into the semis.

What u think Zack? i think he wudda been a shoe in for the premier league if he had won.

What u think Zack? i think he wudda been a shoe in for the premier league if he had won.

I think the precedent was set last year when Jimmy White won the seniors and got the Premier League invite, a lot of players were put out by that, but it was the sponsors decision and as you know Barry Hearn is heavily involved in the sponsors Party Poker.

I suppose Jimmy is playing in the league this season by merit but as you can see he's really struggling to gain points and this seasons appearance will be his first and last for a while.

I'm sure Darren Morgan will struggle the same as Jimmy has when he comes up against more formidable opponents in next seasons league.

Yea but cant see Morgan even getting an invite to the premier league next year, they want a big name, theres been a couple more ranking event winners this season to chose from. ie: Stuart Bingham at Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Only seen the highlights of it so far, and have loved every minute of it!

Makes me feel like I'm so young :)

Advertisement