Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this? Found on Rosslare beach.

Options
  • 02-11-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me what this is, please?
    We found it while walking on a beach in Wexford on 2/11/11.
    It has the shape of a mussel, but is flat and has a blue perimeter.

I've never seen anything like it before.
    Puzzled:confused:.
    JT
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Is it definitely an animal? From those photos, it looks like a piece of old glass.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it is actually a common/blue mussel shell.Althought the third photo looks like glass almost?

feb21_blue_mussel_seaweed_tlm_66872.jpg?w=452&h=300

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jtrred

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it is actually a common/blue mussel shell.Althought the third photo looks like glass almost?

feb21_blue_mussel_seaweed_tlm_66872.jpg?w=452&h=300
    Definitely not glass! There were about 10 of them of various sizes. They are soft and the photos don't really show it, but they have a kind of 'frill' on the top, which I'm holding in the photo. The underside has small fine 'hairs' that look like it might stick it's self to rocks. Not a mussel either

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jtrred wrote: »
    Definitely not glass! There were about 10 of them of various sizes. They are soft and the photos don't really show it, but they have a kind of 'frill' on the top, which I'm holding in the photo. The underside has small fine 'hairs' that look like it might stick it's self to rocks. Not a mussel either

They're soft? so there's no shell at all? I was going to say some kind of limpet but if there's not a shell I don't think that would be right. You wouldn't have any more pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dogfish egg cases, maybe? Also known as Mermaid's Purses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid%27s_purse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

You dont know what they are so you pick them up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Labhaoise

Hi there,

What you found are called By-the-wind-sailors! The latin name for them is Velella velella. They are hydrozoans, which are related to jellyfish and corals. They are open ocean species, which are sometimes washed up on shores. The frill which you refer to is what they use as a sail to determine which way they move and the hairs are tentacles which hang down from the oval disc- they use these to trap prey!
    Recent windy weather most likely washed them ashore!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Looks like an X-File...

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Labhaoise wrote: »
    Hi there,

What you found are called By-the-wind-sailors! The latin name for them is Velella velella. They are hydrozoans, which are related to jellyfish and corals. They are open ocean species, which are sometimes washed up on shores. The frill which you refer to is what they use as a sail to determine which way they move and the hairs are tentacles which hang down from the oval disc- they use these to trap prey!
    Recent windy weather most likely washed them ashore!
    Not very ususal to find them in Irish waters as far as I know

Advertisement