Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel worse after giving up

Options
  • 02-11-2011 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi guys,

Been of the smokes for over two months now but have been feeling gradually worse as the weeks go on. Have been going to the toilet more often, feeling exhausted and getting headaches and dizzy spells. I saw a study recently that stated that people who give up smoking have a 70% higher chance of getting diabetes and that nicotine can sometimes mask underlying illnesses. As my symptoms point in that direction, i'm just wondering has anyone else developed type 2 diabetes after giving up smoking and if so how long after did this happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Throw up the link to that study if you can find it, I imagine it is fairly unreliable as smoking is proven to be a risk factor for insulin resistance and can cause diabetes so I can't imagine quitting smoking would cause it :confused:.

If you are feeling bad then go see your doctor for a check up and have them put your mind at ease, if you have VHI then ring the Nurseline. Realistically though, giving up the smokes is the best thing you can do for your health.

Keep it up, it kinda sounds like your mind is playing tricks on you (happened me at the 6 week stage, off em 3 & a half months now and it gets easier all the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That sounds like a bull$hit study to me. Quitting smoking does not cause diabetes.

The symptoms you are experiencing are normal. Tiredness is most likely a result of your sleep patterns being all over the place. I found 2-3 months was the peak for this behaviour. Headaches and dizziness are probably the result of this sleep interruption.

Stick with it. You are over the hump now but you still need to be strong. There will be more times over the next 10 months where you will think it's easier to smoke than not. Get through those trials and you're almost there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 juliet38

Thanks for the encouragement. Determined to stay off them and keep telling myself that how i'm feeling now is nothing compared to how i'd feel if I ended up with lung cancer. Just have to suck it up and keep going! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Op, your body us healing after being poisoned for so long. A doc told me before that it really takes 6 months before you start getting back after quitting , sinus infections etc. Keep it up!

Advertisement