Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Thomas A. Richards & CBT

Options
  • 02-11-2011 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am not seeking medical advice as I am aware it is against the rules, just looking for opinions from qualified professionals

I am looking for different recognised methods/courses to help me deal with agoraphobia and anxiety. It is a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I don’t know which comes first. I have tried counselling and visited a Registered Psychologist and after costing me a small fortune I am still suffering with this.

Need to travel aboard for work I am presently unemployed deep down I want to go and re-experience the joys of living aboard meeting different people and seeing new things. I have previously lived and studied aboard. Since this life changer has happened I have not been outside of Ireland for over 13 years and at one point I was pretty but house bound.

My understanding is that CBT is the most effective method, which I have done with a Psychologist. I think I may need something aggressive to give me the confidence to move. I have looked in bookshops and on the internet but found nothing that may be of use. I did find http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/audioseries.html but it is CBT for social anxiety, can I substitute the formula for social anxiety with agoraphobia?

Any alternative methods out there that I could look into. I thought about hypnotherapy after watching a programme on Sky 1 with Paul McKenna. I am a little worried with this approach in case it makes me worse or changes my personality etc.
    I don’t want to spend money that I haven’t got to be in the same position in three months’ time so all opinions are welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

welltech wrote: »
    1. I am looking for different recognised methods/courses to help me deal with agoraphobia and anxiety.

2. can I substitute the formula for social anxiety with agoraphobia?

3. Any alternative methods out there that I could look into. I thought about hypnotherapy after watching a programme on Sky 1

It does look as if you're looking for medical/psychological advice! Talk with your psychologist. JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement