Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish BMW that is currently being sold from Spain via ebay

Options
  • 02-11-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Everyone,
    I've seen a car on CBG and I emailed the guy. It was a lovely BMW for half nothing. The problem is that he's in Spain. He wants to ship it over, adding two - three hundred to the cost. The whole transaction would be conducted via ebay. He guarantees that the finance is fully paid on it. He moved back to Spain from Dublin. I looked at similar makes and models of the car and they ranged from 6-7 thousand up to 14 thousand on adverts.ie, donedeal.ie, autotrader.ie., ebay, and carzone.ie I'm worried that as it looks to good to be true, it is too good to be true. He says that there is a five day return policy and since it's conducted through ebay he doesn't get paid until I receive the car. He says he can't sell it in Spain which I understand since it's right hand drive but for 4 grand, it seems like a give away. Anyone with any advice or had a similar situation? Please get back to me as he's trying to rush the transaction (another red flag) and my heart is saying yes but my head says I just don't know. He emailed me the registration number this morning. Is there any way I can check it out and make sure the finance has been paid?
    Thanks a million!
    Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any links?

Smells of all sorts based on what you have written

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It's a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Run away.

Does he even own the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Sounds too good to be true - would you consider flying out there to buy it directly from him? Cost would be similar to the cost of importing the car (or less), but at least you would be able to verify that it exists...

You can check car history here...

http://www.mywheels.ie/Homepage.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

its a scam, have had the same scam offered about 15 times over the years.

if a car price is too good to be true, then it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it's a scam.

i saw similar on autotrader for an audi a5 for about 3k less than anyone else. you email from their website and get an instant reply that would normally take a few minutes to type.
    you probably got the regular story. bought a right hand drive, brought it back to spain, was told it was cheaper to sell and buy a left hand drive than convert it so he's got it locked up in a container at the port waiting to ship.
    i tried taking the mick with him saying that i was going to be in spain near where the car was so i could easily collect it there. then you get the story that the guy that owns the container has already been paid. i offered to go halves and still drive it back, still get a no.
    my last email just said 'ah go on' but he stopped replying.
    shyte customer service really! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 neil2011

(This is the email i recieved,opinions most welcome)Hi again Neil,

I have already obtain the costs for delivery the car to Ireland. Those are EUR 200, including insurance, so your total will be EUR 4,200.

I want to point out that because I am in the process of moving because of changing my working place, I am after a fast transaction, with no delays. That is why I decided to lower the price, to avoid wasting time with negotiations and find a buyer as soon as possible.

As I told you , I'm currently in Madrid on business and the vehicle is located at the shipping company in Valencia.
    The car will be insured at the shipping company for the transport. I already have it on shipping co. possession along with ALL doc ready to GO so will be no local pick up available.
    This is basically how the transaction through eBay works:
    Firstly I need your contact details complete name and the exact address for shipping so I can open a case with eBay regarding our transaction, they will contact you and send you the documents for our transaction (Case ID, and Invoice).
    You will have to lodge the payment into an eBay account and they will keep your payment until you receive the car (so your payment will be secure until you receive and inspect the car).
    When the car will be delivered to your door, you will have 5 days to check the car (test it, drive it,and even take it to a local service. ..etc) so you can see that everything is ok with it. If the car doesn't match with what I told you,it will be shipped back to me on my own expense (however I doubt that this shall be the case because the car is exactly how I described it to you) and you will be refunded your total payment.

If you are totally content with the car and that you want to continue with the purchase You will have to notify eBay. Once you have made this decision, only then the payment will be transferred into my account.

Remember they have absolutely no authority to release the payment until they get your full approval.
    I hope I explained everything to you OK. After we complete all these above steps I can only hope that you should be fully satisfied as the new owner of my car.
    I'm waiting to receive your contact details so I can open a case with eBay ASAP.
    Kind regards

Sanches

P.S The nct will expire next year on 02/02/2012 and also it is taxed till 02/04/2012. The registration # 06D24931
    Also I made a autocheck of my car in order to provide to the buyers.
    http://www.motorcheck.ie/report/06D24931/XVX991
    Also the plates from the pictures was erased by me from the eBay safety advice.
    I want to make the deal through eBay Motors.
    I will not lose anymore time waiting for the client to come and see it. This is not the first time when I have such offer, and everything turns to be a wasting of time.
    So, sorry, I want a quick sale. I have no warranty that you'll come and i have many persons interested to buy it, so i will not take the chance to lose an real buyer for just some promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Scam.

I mean he could drive to Ireland,sell it to a dealership and fly home to Spain with more money than he's asking for....I was fooled to be honest and i appreciate all the comments on the above email thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eBay doesn't get involved in sales that occur outside of eBay, so this is complete BS. Apart from that, everything else just screams scam. Call him a liar and a scum bag, then tell him to f**k off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

That's a really, really annoyingly common scam. As mentioned already Ebay don't offer any kind of payment service like yer man mentions. If you were to get back to them and say 'yeah, sure grand' what will normally happen is that he'll get you to lodge the money into Ebays special 'Western Union account' & send him on the payment id, he'll then whip the money out from wherever in the world he's based & you will have absolutely no come back at all.

It is 100% a scam, as is nearly every shockingly cheaply priced high end car that you see advertised online that someone is trying to ship to you. First mention of 'shipping' & it's time to delete the email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

That's a really, really annoyingly common scam. As mentioned already Ebay don't offer any kind of payment service like yer man mentions. If you were to get back to them and say 'yeah, sure grand' what will normally happen is that he'll get you to lodge the money into Ebays special 'Western Union account' & send him on the payment id, he'll then whip the money out from wherever in the world he's based & you will have absolutely no come back at all.

It is 100% a scam, as is nearly every shockingly cheaply priced high end car that you see advertised online that someone is trying to ship to you. First mention of 'shipping' & it's time to delete the email

Most likely a suburb of Lagos, Nigeria.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Ask for a Gesture of 8k in negotiable bonds and when happy & car delivered you will send the payment over.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Tell him you will be in Madrid tomorrow with cash.

Ask him to meet up, and watch him squirm.

Thanks for all the answers.... so everyone is pretty much of the same opinion.I thought I was on to a good thing.I appreciate the help so much and I'm mad at meself for even beleiving the advert,I clicked on cbg and it was one of the first cars there in "sale of the week".... funnily enough the advert is nowhere to be found now today from yesterday
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SureHome.ie

I emailed an ad through cbg for an BMW x5 commercial and got a similar email back saying he was in Spain for a new job and advising how much the shipping costs are etc .He also explained why the jeep was cheap and so on

This seems to be a popular s cam at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SureHome.ie

Here's the email below

Hi there

The BMW X5 3.0D is still for sale. A great car, never implied in any accident, in excellent condition with full service history.
    I have changed my job and now I have to sell it as I've got back home in Spain.The car is here as well.
    The final price is 8.000 € + shipping to your door. For an accurate shipping cost please include your shipping address in your next email.(shipping will be no more than 300€)
    As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. But since it's a right hand drive car, not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still Ireland registered did not help either. I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle. The car is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition.Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in Ireland anymore, I only accept transaction through eBay.
    Please email me soon if you want to move forward and let me know if you need anything else.

All the best!

Vines Perez Antoni

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Here's the email below

Hi there

The BMW X5 3.0D is still for sale. A great car, never implied in any accident, in excellent condition with full service history.
    I have changed my job and now I have to sell it as I've got back home in Spain.The car is here as well.
    The final price is 8.000 € + shipping to your door. For an accurate shipping cost please include your shipping address in your next email.(shipping will be no more than 300€)
    As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. But since it's a right hand drive car, not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still Ireland registered did not help either. I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle. The car is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition.Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in Ireland anymore, I only accept transaction through eBay.
    Please email me soon if you want to move forward and let me know if you need anything else.

All the best!

Vines Perez Antoni

SCAM!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

same thing .. scam email from physicaltherapist1980@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If someone did genuinely move to Spain - why on earth would they take their car with them?

But say that they did - rather than sell it for half the going price, ship it to one of the auctions here or have a friend drive it back or drive it back themselves.

But as fools and their money are easily parted, some people (thankfully not the OP) will believe this cock and bull story and lose out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Had the same before with a Type R Civic.

Same ****e, but i kept going with it for the craic, said instead of delivery i would fly to spain as it would be cheaper than the delivery and i'll bring cash..

Not a word back haha.

Keep him going its fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

yada yada yada.(shipping will be no more than 300€) yada yada yada

You can ship a car from Spain for €300? :eek:

There's some real deals to be had there!!!

:D

Advertisement