Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anomaly Scan

Options
  • 02-11-2011 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there

I was at the maternity hospital in Limerick last week for my 12 week check up and I'm so grateful that all is well. I was put in for an anomaly scan at 20 weeks but I've mixed feelings about this to be honest as I am just so happy to be pregnant and to have gotten to the stage where I am beginning to relax (I've had 2 previous miscarriages this year) and enjoy being pregnant. I didn't request the anomaly scan and had it not been offered to me I would have just been happy to see my baby on a basic scan at 20 weeks or so and had no intention of getting the anomaly scan. I guess, of course now that it has been offered to me, there's a part of me which thinks I should just do the scan but on the other hand I just want to enjoy this pregnancy and not worry about what may or may not be. Anyone have any thoughts / experience on this? I'd really appreciate the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

We are public in Limerick, our next scan is at 28wks (2wks time) and we were never offered a scan at 20wks. Only had the one at 12 wks. We have just been going to the GP every month. We are going to be attending the midwives clinic so I don't know if that makes a difference as this is our first.

We were kind of hoping for a scan at 20 wks tbh and considered getting one done privately but in the end we spent the money on a travel system!

Sorry not much advice there, just our experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

There really isn't much of a difference b/w a "normal" scan and an anomoly scan. At each they're looking for anything out of the ordinary. By scanning at 20 wks they'll take measurements, both to ensure that everything is progressing and also to help confirm a more accurate due date.

Of course, it is completely within your rights to refuse a scan, and if you'd rather not have it then you are not obligated to have it. Just tell your doc & cancel any scan appoint that is sent your way.

Btw, congrats on the preg & hope it all goes to plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I think an anomaly scan is extremely important. I can see the point of view of leaving well enough alone, but, god forbid should there be anything out of the ordinary with the baby, it is surely better to know before the birth. If the baby is suffering from certain conditions it is necessary to give birth by c-section for example to avoid undue stress/trauma on the baby. And your maternity hospital can have the systems in place to best care for you and your baby before the baby even arrives, thus giving the best outcome for the baby e.g. they will already know before birth if the baby would need to be transported another hospital, will need to be in an incubator, will need antibiotics immediately post birth etc. It just ensures that everything possible can be done for the baby within the optimum times, giving the baby the best outcome.

It also allows some preparation on your part. If the baby should be dignosed with anything in a scan you can already have time to digest the news, become knowledgable on what is wrong and prepare yourself for the birth and life there afterwards, therefore you are able to be hands on with your baby from the beginning, ensure they get the best care possible and again have the best outcome. It would just mean somewhat avoiding complete panic stations after the birth and not having a clue how to cope.

There is a fair difference between the anomaly scan and regular scan you would have had. There is an awful lot of things cannot be picked up on your normal scan. The anomaly scan is far more specific and detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Congratulations!

While i totally see where your coming from regarding the anomoly scan, it is also important. They check the measurements on the baby, the organs, heart and blood flow etc. And also the placenta and umbilical cord. Which is obviously all quite important. There is also things that they may see on this scan that while it wouldnt necessarily mean anything was badly wrong, but would help the hospital give you and your baby the best care possible.

And on a lighter note, the 20week scan is done on a far superior machine than the 12 week scan so you get to see much better and more detaled pictures of your baby, which is always great.
    And should you be interested, you would also be able to find out the sex of your baby at this scan too!

Perhaps at your next gp or hospital appointment you could mention your issues/concerns about the 20 week scan as the doc/midwifes would be able to give you more info and answer any other questions you have regarding wheater or not to have it done.

Best of luck with everything and
    Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy-it goes so fast!

Advertisement