Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate HD Media Player problems

Options
  • 02-11-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago:
    Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player

Also got a 750Gb 2.5" Seagate goflex to fit inside it.

I've ripped a good few of my DVD's onto the drive (in .iso format) and am generally pleased with the operation of the device, but it has stuttured more than I would like. The video just stops for a few minutes with the unit becoming unresponsive. It'll then resume playing, but stutter almost immediately. Sometimes powering off and on fixes this.

Has anyone else had one of these for a while and have you had the same happen? I am copying the iso's on the drive at the moment, so the HDD is being put through a lot of wrtinign and reading, so that may have something to do with it, but need to check this out a bit more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

See if there is a firmware update on Seagate's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I did a firmware update last night and I think that's when the problems may have started (I hadn't used the unti too much before that). The firmware update also knackered the thumbnail art I had attached to each iso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

When you say you are copying iso's on, do you mean at the same time as watching a movie? Because stuttering in that case would be pretty expected.

No. I copy the iso's from my pc and then put it into the player to watch on the TV.

Messed about with this some more last night.

At first I thought the problem might be due to the resolution setting on the unit. I had it on "HDMI Auto" which outputs a 1080 60 signal to the TV. I changed this to match the iso I was playing (480p for an NTSC DVD) and it was fine. Played first 25 minutes of a film with no problems. I then tried skipping forward a few chapters and it stalled for a few seconds and started playing fine. This seems to happen when hitting the forward chapter button a number of times at once. No a big problem, as it played fine after that.

Then went ot a new iso (PAL DVD), changed resolution to 576p and played fine for about 20 minutes again, but then it just stalled. It stuttered a bit after that, so I turned it off and took the drive out and it was quite hot. Could this be the problem? A 2.5" eternal drive slotted into the unit gets very hot, which I assume is bad for reading the files. Not sure.

It's a pity about this problem as it's a pretty good apart from this (big) problem.

• Advertisement

Figured out the problem: The hard drive is getting too hot when it's slotted into the machine. Works perfectly when attaching it to the external usb ports on the unit.

Bit of a crappy design to have a unit built to allow drives to be slotted in and not have some allowance made for the heat of the unit and hard drive during operation. But the ability to play iso's makes up for this (for me anyway).

Advertisement