Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to break into Video Production

Options
  • 02-11-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi Guys,

Quick question. And hope that this is the right area for this, please move if it isnt.

I have been career soul searching for over a year now while in my job (finance – which I have no interest in and really don’t want carry on in.) I have a degree in accounting and I honestly don’t want to work in that area at all. I would love to be doing something creative like film/music video production. So I am torn between how to go about making this happen. I have been looking at an Interactive Media Masters which would give me an insight into a lot of things I am interested in like Web Design, Mobile App creation, Digital Video Capture, Audio and Sound Engineering, Graphics, etc. However I am afraid this will leave me without any tangible experience in a wide variety of areas..

So I was wondering, would I be better off taking the money that I would spend on the masters and investing it in industry standard software (After Affects for Visual Effects and Adobe Premier/Final Cut Pro for editing) and hooking myself up with a really nice DSLR camera. That way I could start shooting my own videos, learn from experience, create a showreel and maybe try to apply to production companies that way?

I really know very little about how this industry works so if anyone has any thoughts or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Cordo.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

IMO, you'd be better off investing in hardware & software and then paying someone for private tutorials & learning yourself. The web is a great tool, as are the Creative Cow DSLR podcasts & forums.

It's not about the qualification in this industry - it's how good you are and what tangible & practical stuff you know. Contacts are important, but you need to walk the walk too. I know people with media degrees who make tea & work for free, and I know people unqualified who learned everything themselves & make a full-time living.

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

PM me if you have any questions BTW. Only glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think it's a bit mad to go jumping head first into a field you know nothing about just because you don't like your current job. Take it up as a hobby first, there's thousands and thousands of people in the same position as you. I'd test the water before you do anything drastic like quit your job and blow all your money.

Equipment costs are huge in media, so I'd start collecting bits you'd need now (as a hobby) and learning the basics on your own so you can spend your money on better learning experiences.

There's nothing stopping you from producing stuff right now in your spare time. I'd try that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

This seems a very helpful forum. Apologies for hijacking the thread, but maybe we can both find the same answer possibly?

I, too, am thinking of getting into film production, short films, film experimentation etc. Im wondering could anyone recommend some equipment to start off with, video camera etc? Im particularly interested in the short film field.

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Get a DSLR; a Canon 60D is a good start without breaking the bank. Suitable for short film work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Zombie Lenin

Hey man, I agree with skipping the masters and going straight to kit. I recommend a Canon 550d, a zoom H2 and Final Cut to get started.

PM me if you need any more advice, I teach a course in digital filmmaking and know a bit about all aspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hey man, I agree with skipping the masters and going straight to kit. I recommend a Canon 550d, a zoom H2 and Final Cut to get started.

PM me if you need any more advice, I teach a course in digital filmmaking and know a bit about all aspects.

Since you posted this six months ago I've really got to ask where on earth lets you teach a course in filmmaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Zombie Lenin

Okay, I should probably clarify. I really didn't think this would piss so many people off.
    I wasn't trying to undermine the role of sound recordist at all, the fact was, we had a sound recordist. We had two zooms beside the principles, one with the Sennheiser, and the principals were also hooked up to radio lav mics.
    The sound recordist tested all of the set ups and I was looking for someone who could literally just turn the zooms on and off and monitor the sound while the actual sound recordist monitored the receiver of the radio mics from the back of the room.
    I didn't advertise for a sound recordist, I advertised for someone to help record sound, as well as other duties. I should've been more specific, and I probably got defensive and a bit snotty, and so I apologise to anyone who thought I was undermining the importance of sound and the role of recordist.

Advertisement