Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit card problem [failed transaction authorised]

Options
  • 02-11-2011 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but I was in dunnes yesterday evening an tried to pay by debit card but it kept being denied and I ended up paying cash. I had checked my account before going to dunnes and had €140 so I knew the money was there. However when I then tried using the ATM it told me I had innsufficient funds.when I returned home and checked my account it turned out the transaction did go through the first time. I rang the bank and went back around to dunnes to try get it sorted. They said the money should bounce back to my account last night but it didn't! I'm wondering am I entitled to any compensation as I had to fork out 66.55 for the shop and a further 96.55 is gone out of my account( I was getting 30 cashback) so i'm really struggling now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This happens alot.

The bank has set aside this money for payment, but Dunnes havent taken it, It could take 3 days to turn back up in your account.

Check here for other people who were in the same situation.

I know it is a hassle, esp when its real money on your laser, it may as well have been stolen as you cant use it. But I cant see either the bank or Dunnes compensating you.

The sooner Laser is gone and replced by VISA debit, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This happens alot.

The bank has set aside this money for payment, but Dunnes havent taken it, It could take 3 days to turn back up in your account.

Check here for other people who were in the same situation.

I know it is a hassle, esp when its real money on your laser, it may as well have been stolen as you cant use it. But I cant see either the bank or Dunnes compensating you.

The sooner Laser is gone and replced by VISA debit, the better.

It is VISA debit

I've never heard of this happening with VISA debit only laser and to a lesser extent, credit cards.

I only have laser and this happened to me once for €25 at a petrol station, it took 3 days to get it back. I thought once I got Visa debit, it wouldn't happen again.

It seems to be a problem with the bank who clears the electronic payments for retailers.

Atleast it wasnt over the long weekend, so it may be back to you by tomorrow.

I've never heard of this happening with VISA debit only laser and to a lesser extent, credit cards.

I only have laser and this happened to me once for €25 at a petrol station, it took 3 days to get it back. I thought once I got Visa debit, it wouldn't happen again.

It seems to be a problem with the bank who clears the electronic payments for retailers.

Atleast it wasnt over the long weekend, so it may be back to you by tomorrow.

I hope so, dunnes are telling me it's the banks problem and the bank are telling me it's dunnes! I just want/need my money back as I'm broke at the min.

I think its a bank issue as they let the money come out of your account without you entering the PIN, but other see it as a shop issue....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71246537

• Advertisement

doublepost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

She would have entered your pin, in Dunnes a card won't deny until after the pin stage. (Unless the type of card isn't accepted at all) Often if insufficient funds isn't the issue, when a card denies three times the till allows you to swipe it and have the sale go through that way. (But you can't swipe a chip card at any other time). The sales assistant should have tried that if you were certain you had the money in your account.

The key thing really is whether there's an authorisation code on your receipt (they have to still give you the receipt even when it refuses to go through). It's the last thing printed on the very bottom underneath your censored card number etc. If there's a blank space and no code after it, then it didn't go through. Also, underneath the items at the top will read EFT TENDER CANCELLED, however many times it denied. This isn't a fault with Dunnes, after your card denied the sale is still up on the screen with your subtotal and needs a manager to void the whole thing out, so clearly still awaiting payment. It's an issue with whatever bank authorises the credit/debit payments. It's the same thing when your account takes the transaction money twice- the sales assistant would need to be scanning everything again and taking your card again for it to be the shop's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking, Insurance & Pensions

dudara

I think its a bank issue as they let the money come out of your account without you entering the PIN, but other see it as a shop issue....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71246537

I entered my pin and the machine said pin ok then told me to remove my card and said access denied

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Its the banks fault. Dunnes would have put through for money, pin ok, bank go to release fund then system see not available to release so refuse to authorise transaction. Nothing more Dunnes can do. Bank system thing.

You need to be aware that you have money when going to put something through as this will happen with it.

Also compensation for what? Because you had to pay with cash? Seriously!

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    Its the banks fault. Dunnes would have put through for money, pin ok, bank go to release fund then system see not available to release so refuse to authorise transaction. Nothing more Dunnes can do. Bank system thing.

You need to be aware that you have money when going to put something through as this will happen with it.

Also compensation for what? Because you had to pay with cash? Seriously!

No because i'm down €96 which I needed today and still haven't got. Dunnes had actually taken the money from the bank and had to send an explicit reversal to the bank. I don't see why I have to suffer for their mistake whether it be the banks or dunnes fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Lola18 wrote: »
    No because i'm down €96 which I needed today and still haven't got. Dunnes had actually taken the money from the bank and had to send an explicit reversal to the bank. I don't see why I have to suffer for their mistake whether it be the banks or dunnes fault!

No the bank held the funds and have yet to put back into your account. Transaction failed in Dunnes, they didnt get your money.

chris85 wrote: »
    Lola18 wrote: »

No the bank held the funds and have yet to put back into your account. Transaction failed in Dunnes, they didnt get your money.

Well dunnes have admitted to me that they did receive the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Very unlikely, the transaction failed and would still have shown up on the screen as unpaid. Either way, it's still the bank's fault and they're the ones who will fix it. It's not as if Dunnes can open a till and reimburse you- it would have to be the bank doing that, but I've never heard of that happening. Usually it will be fixed within 2 days anyway, 3 at most.

Advertisement