Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDAs

Options
  • 01-11-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever actually owned/used a PDA?

I remember seeing them in the argos catalogue when I was like 12, and thinking that they were the coolest thing ever. But also noticing that they cost about 250 euro! :eek: Of course, this was way before paying circa. 600 euro for a phone was the norm. :rolleyes:

Did anyone use one before, and were they really like "having a miniature desktop in your pocket"? :pac: Or were they just cheap knock-offs of actual computers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I have a HP one, with a phone and wifi built in. Still use it very occasionally as a spare phone, otherwise I just use it as a GPS in the car. Runs on Windows OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭roverdublin

I still have a LOOX N560; a brilliant PDA which Siemens Fujitsu do not build anymore. In fact they have stopped to build PDA's.:rolleyes:

With NAVIGON it was a mobile-PC and a GPS unit in one housing.

It synced with my Office Outlook. Through the WIFI the browsing experience of the Internet was not great. The browser was not 100% compatible and was slow.

Specs of the LOOX N560

I have , more or less, replaced this with a GALAXY S2. The Google maps and Navigation is by far not as good as NAVIGON on the LOOX.
    Polaris Office (replacement for Microsoft Office) is working with all my Microsoft Documents quite well.

Now I have a phone, a GPS unit (not great Software) and a Windows Office in one housing.

Both devices are good for multimedia like playing MP3 or MP4 files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I have had, and used extensively, the following PDA/pocket computers...

Psion Organizer LZ64
    Palm Pilot (original one)
    Palm III
    Palm IV
    Psion Series 5MX
    HP Jornada (something or other)
    Sharp Zaurus SL5600
    Dell Axim X51v
    Palm Treo 700w (also my first smartphone, my next phone was an iPhone 1st Gen)

I would say the primary use I got out of them was readinng electronic documentation and beeping at me to get me to do stuff. I still have the Psion 5MX, as it has a real RS232 port, which is handy in a portable device.

Currently have a Galaxy SII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I had a few, used to use them as todo & tasks list and calendar, the odd ebook, and note taking, the odd game.

Casio Personal Organiser
    Palm III
    Casio Cassiopeia EM-500
    Psion Series 5MX
    Palm IV
    PalmTungsten E

When the last one broke, I switched to a Nokia E71 as my organiser till it broke. I used a iPod Touch for a while. But currently back to a paper notebook! But as a task list and get things done, I don't think current mobile smart phones, or anuy mobile apps especially the calendars, come close to the functionality or ease of use of an old Palm PDA. They either lack features, or are waaay too complicated. I've tried Nokia, Apple, and Android and still haven't really found something as usable as the old Palm PDAs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement