Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

required dish size for eurobird

Options
  • 01-11-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My first post here, just wondering if anyone can kindly help me with this query. I am looking in to getting a dish to receive free-to-air/freesat channels and I've been quoted a price for €119 for a complete kit including receiver and dish, the dish included is the standard sky minidish, just wondering will this pick up the eurobird 1 satellite as well as the astra group? And is there any advantage to getting a 110cm dish like would I be able to pick up extra satellites that are near eurobird and astra? I only got into researching this today so apologies if it's a simple question.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

A 110cm dish with multiple lnbs would get you a few satellites for sure. But 110cm isn't necessary unless you want to get some of the Arab stuff at 26° East

• Registered Users Posts: 6 roro_1990

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    A 110cm dish with multiple lnbs would get you a few satellites for sure.

Do you reckon it would be worth going for the 110cm one then? If I pointed my 110cm at the astra/eurobird1 group would I pick up satellites at like 15E or would it probably only be ones within 1 or 2 degrees of the astra/eurobird group?

Also do people feel that free-to-air is worth going for in general? Is it an annoyance when the channels change around and you have to update them etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's multiple lnb's on a dish.Follow the link in the image for more pics and info.

151656.jpg

But 110cm isn't necessary unless you want to get some of the Arab stuff at 26° East

Will I get french/german TV from an 80cm dish using just a single LNB?

roro_1990 wrote: »
    Do you reckon it would be worth going for the 110cm one then? If I pointed my 110cm at the astra/eurobird1 group would I pick up satellites at like 15E or would it probably only be ones within 1 or 2 degrees of the astra/eurobird group?

Also do people feel that free-to-air is worth going for in general? Is it an annoyance when the channels change around and you have to update them etc?

It depends on what you want. For example I easily get Astra 1 and Hotbird on a 90cm dish. I am sure I could get a few more if I wished.

FTA isn't a bad thing to have imo. It is true that channels change frequencies sometimes but it isn't a regular thing. You wont find yourself constantly retuning.

• Advertisement

It depends on what you want. For example I easily get Astra 1 and Hotbird on a 90cm dish. I am sure I could get a few more if I wished.

FTA isn't a bad thing to have imo. It is true that channels change frequencies sometimes but it isn't a regular thing. You wont find yourself constantly retuning.

Yeah hotbird would be good to have I'd like that, the main astra group for uk channels and the eurobird aswell. Do you know if Channel 5 is accessible from Dublin using one of these dishes?

It is. All of the FTA channels at Astra 2 and Eurobird 1 are. They are practically in the same location in the sky.

Advertisement