Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying motorbike and documents

Options
  • 01-11-2011 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I have a few questions regarding buying a motorbike. Generally whats the best practice when buying a bike regarding paperwork and receipts and a query about the bike tax.

How do I go about the paperwork?
    They showed me two pieces of paperwork, one had the change of ownership details stuff on the back. I think the Vehicle reg certificate, not sure now what the other one was?
    I thought i had to download a form or get it from the motortax office?
    Do I take away the forms? I feel reluctant to leave the forms signed as they may sit on a shelf for ages. (happened me before with a car, once I handed the money over I couldn't get through to them/get them to answer or deal with it and effectively was concerned I didnt own the vehicle even though i had paid)

So whats the process?

So should I bring a blank sheet, write on it receipt for sale of x vehicle and how much sale agreed and complete, do that twice on the sheet, sign both and give them half and take half?

The bike has no tax, I looked it up and it has been out for sometime (I assume off road, was told hadnt been in use but when looked it up suprised how long, unless it was wrong online)
    if I date and sign the required form am I then only liable from then (I assume so) the other problem is I have to move it to my place without tax, is there a way after just purchasing something to legitimately allow me to do this (i.e. tax in post stuck on the windshiled??:))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Merch wrote: »
    I have a few questions regarding buying a motorbike. Generally whats the best practice when buying a bike regarding paperwork and receipts and a query about the bike tax.

How do I go about the paperwork?
    They showed me two pieces of paperwork, one had the change of ownership details stuff on the back. I think the Vehicle reg certificate, not sure now what the other one was?
    I thought i had to download a form or get it from the motortax office?
    Do I take away the forms? I feel reluctant to leave the forms signed as they may sit on a shelf for ages. (happened me before with a car, once I handed the money over I couldn't get through to them/get them to answer or deal with it and effectively was concerned I didnt own the vehicle even though i had paid)

So whats the process?

Previous owner is supposed to post off the VLC, which has the change of ownership section on it. No idea what the 2nd paper was unless the bike is very old. It's not a good idea to give the buyer the VLC as the owner will still be liable for offences if the buyer "forgets" to post it off.

Best way to do it is to fill in the change of ownership form and once money has been handed over both go to the post box and post it. Bring an Stamped Addressed Envelope with you in case the seller doesn't have one handy
    So should I bring a blank sheet, write on it receipt for sale of x vehicle and how much sale agreed and complete, do that twice on the sheet, sign both and give them half and take half?

Yes.
    The bike has no tax, I looked it up and it has been out for sometime (I assume off road, was told hadnt been in use but when looked it up suprised how long, unless it was wrong online)
    if I date and sign the required form am I then only liable from then (I assume so) the other problem is I have to move it to my place without tax, is there a way after just purchasing something to legitimately allow me to do this (i.e. tax in post stuck on the windshiled??:))

You only have to pay the tax from when you bought it.

It's illegal to be on the road without motor tax. If you get stopped without tax you should be OK with the receipt above but a Garda can take it off you.

Make sure and do a history check on the bike before you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

VLC gets signed and sent to Shannon with your details on it. Your liable for Tax from date registered to your name. Back tax is not a issue.

As for driving it and getting caught for no tax, in theory you can't till you tax it. In reality you would have to be some cocky prick to be picked up on it, even if your stopped. Explain you just bought it, you have insurance and your on your way home. Gardai have the power of discretion. Most are nice enough to use it. They might check up on your story in a week or two though or ask you to present.

Two weeks after sending the form, go to motortax.ie, click forgot my pin and fill out the details asked for. You can do your tax online before your local council even cop what's going on and before you receive your own VLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Two weeks after sending the form, go to motortax.ie, click forgot my pin and fill out the details asked for. You can do your tax online before your local council even cop what's going on and before you receive your own VLC.

Pity I don't read that last week - would've saved me a trip to the tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

VLC gets signed and sent to Shannon with your details on it. Your liable for Tax from date registered to your name. Back tax is not a issue.

Are they quick enough changing the details?, I wouldnt be surprised if they sent the tax disc to the last registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

think the turnaround on a logbook was about a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Just over a week for me recently - Posted the VLC on Wednesday the 19th and got it back Thursday 27th. Don't think it was much longer for previous change of ownership.

Are they quick enough changing the details?, I wouldnt be surprised if they sent the tax disc to the last registered owner.

Turnaround on a log book can be anywhere from two weeks to a month from what I've seen recently. But for the details on their database only seems to take two weeks or so. Then you can do as I posted above and get your disk sent the following week. I got my tax disk on my new car before I got my VLC.

What about someone that is a selling a bike on behalf of another?
    I saw the VLC, but aware they are not the owner (they say) a relative, I was focused on the bike details and forgot about the address and name.
    Do I need to get them to get the relative to sign it? I'm not saying it is dodgy but I'm getting the feeling that maybe they are buying and selling bikes (not from anything else, just this) it may be legitimate and accurate or they may feel the need to disguise that they are selling stuff on? the bike looks very good and I checked it online too, no outstanding finance or thefts reported.

Should I ask for something else before handing over the cash? they have the VLC and another piece of paperwork (not sure what it was?) so thats a good sign?

I saw the VLC, but aware they are not the owner (they say) a relative, I was focused on the bike details and forgot about the address and name.
    Do I need to get them to get the relative to sign it? I'm not saying it is dodgy but I'm getting the feeling that maybe they are buying and selling bikes (not from anything else, just this) it may be legitimate and accurate or they may feel the need to disguise that they are selling stuff on? the bike looks very good and I checked it online too, no outstanding finance or thefts reported.

Should I ask for something else before handing over the cash? they have the VLC and another piece of paperwork (not sure what it was?) so thats a good sign?

If you have doubts walk away. Its the better option.

I dont really have any doubts (not about buying it), I'm looking for a way to be clear that the owner is actually selling the bike (has given permission to sell).
    I like the bike, and if its legit I just want to clarify that, wondering whats the best way.

edit, just dont want to get caught, ie owner not present then says bike sold without his permission, he gets bike back and other guy gets paid?
    Thats probably the extreme end of things and me being really paranoid, I just got the impression he's not that pushed. Had the same off a guy was buying car (well looking at to buy for my girlfriend, I was making up a receipt and he didnt want to have anything to do with it) She's had the car years now and no ownership issues.

I do think it protects the buyer more getting a receipt and watching the paperwork get posted

• Advertisement

As for driving it and getting caught for no tax, in theory you can't till you tax it. In reality you would have to be some cocky prick to be picked up on it, even if your stopped. Explain you just bought it, you have insurance and your on your way home. Gardai have the power of discretion. Most are nice enough to use it. They might check up on your story in a week or two though or ask you to present.

how does this work, I just tried it and it says expiry date for tax in year xx, if I proceed then surely it will try tax me to the previous expiry date, its only been a week though, would like to go for a spin this weekend :)

how does this work, I just tried it and it says expiry date for tax in year xx, if I proceed then surely it will try tax me to the previous expiry date, its only been a week though, would like to go for a spin this weekend :)

try from the date on the VLC. Sounds like its still in the other persons name.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Could be stolen, VLC could be a fake. If addresses don't match up and the seller isn't the person named on the VLC (and can prove it with photo ID) then don't walk away, run. Plenty of kosher bikes on sale out there so no point taking a chance, it's a buyer's market.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Ok, I overcame my natural suspicious nature and maybe paranoia
    Got my paperwork in the post today, so the bike is mine, motorcheck said it was never reported stolen :) and now my name is on the reg cert.
    Anyone have a link to different bike motor tax rates?? tried to find it in different locations but cant see the rates

only info can find is on environ.ie that says bike rates are 22 per year??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

From the horses mouth:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do?page=motortaxrates

Choose,
    'By Vehicle Basis of Assessment'

Then,
    'Motor Cycle Standard'

will give you 43e for bikes up to 75cc, 58 for 76cc-200cc, then 76e for bikes over that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Total rip-off considering how cheap many cars are to tax these days. Government has lost a fortune in revenue under the emissions based system so I wouldn't be surprised to see car tax go up a lot in the budget.

MAG did a pre-budget submission on bike tax, but it's hard to see any tax being reduced with the country on its uppers...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I actually thought 76 was reasonable :o

MAG?

I actually thought 76 was reasonable :o

MAG?

Considering a 520D pays 150 a year?

well, considering a fiesta pre '08 is €348 :)

You have to fork out a fair few quid to "avail" of that €150 bargain ;)

edit: hang on you get paid 150 a year for driving a beemer :o

Advertisement