Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu netbook selection

Options
  • 01-11-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

hi everybody
    could some people name off a few Ubuntu netbooks
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

There may well be, but i don't know of netbook vendors which supply ubuntu on a netbook - at least I haven't seen them in the high street retail outlets for quite a considerable amount of time.

There used to be a time (only about 2 years ago) where it was a viable difference for manufacturers to put linux onto a netbook instead of windows however I think two issues came to the fore - (a) complaints and product returns to the large retail outlets that the purchasers couldn't run their latest windows app or game etc... and (b) there was a pricing realisation within microsoft which caused them to make it kinda an offer which couldn't be refused given (a) above.

But, if you want to run ubuntu on a netbook then here is a good place to start https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR <- this *used* to be the place, though I don't see anything now with a download UNR here button - perhaps its buried a little deeper.

I've run the Ubuntu on an Acer eeePC and its fine - works straight off the install with all drivers detected just fine. I've also had linux running on an Acer aspire one netbook (this didn't even have a hard drive - rather a solid state drive) and that was fine too.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i have an asus eee pc 900 that i bought nearly 4 years ago i think (might be 3 ) and it had the option of windows with a 12gb ssd or linux with a 20gb ssd . do differences in price.

i got the Linux one but it wasn't great. it was some Micky mouse Linux. after about a year and a half i trew Ubuntu netbook remix on it and works great now.
    however the laptop itself is started to show sign of wear and tear about 9 -10 months ago so i was thinking of getting a new one, but i don't want to support microsoft and buy a windows netbook and format it (if i can help it ).... any places online.???
    i know system 76 do Linux stuff but i would cost an arm and a leg (and a ear to ship it )

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am running Ubuntu on my Samsung NC10 and it works fine. Installed without a hitch and once you get used to the different layout it is good. Definitely faster than Windows XP or Windows 7.

Advertisement