Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra or Ford focus

Options
  • 01-11-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys, looking to buy a new car for January 2012 and its between the opel astra sri spec or the ford focus zetec spec, both are much the same prices and i just want your thoughts on which car would you go for?? I currently have a 2009 opel astra (old model) and had no trouble so could be tempted for another one but i do like the ford focus too. Your comments please???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

What usually happens here is. I recommend the astra . The 1.4 focus is slated and Then everyone else recommends the 1.6. I have the older model Sri and the spec is very good, but I know the focus has bucket loads of spec in the new one. However, the astra is still a nice car but the focus is hideous. Astra ftw!

What I would actually recommend is keeping your car or at least buy a 2011 after someone else has taken the big depreciation hit! You'd be mad buying a brand new car these days IMO. But being the first owner is nice too I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ianabbott1

Thanks the car i have from new is 2009 opel astra 1.7 diesel sri spec 5 door hatchback and i love it only thing is engine a bit noisy but i test drived new model today same engine 1.7 diesel and engine noise dropped dramatically, completely different car they done some job on new model,. Now i drove the ford focus 1.6 diesel and was very impressed with it too, the focus i think is a bit longer, correct me if im wrong here, I suppose ill wait to see who gives me better deal , id say opel will as im buying a new opel but i dont know. they done some job on the new focus, lovely car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I have just returned a Ford Focus 1.6 diesel in titanium spec and it was great. I had a saloon and a hatchback and they drive just the same but the saloon boot opening is a little small. My one had the lane assist and road sign reader, neither of which I needed.

I'd pick the hatch Focus over the Opel any day of the week, as a bonus, if you get the car serviced at a main Ford dealer you can get the warranty extended to 5 years. Check with your dealer for the proper terms on that one.

I've driven the Opel and it's alright but the Focus is better built and will probably be a more desirable car in the future as they age well and the Focus is a hugely popular car.

Thanks , Id be interested in Zetec spec with bluetooth and visibility pack on focus, same with astra only thing focus doesnt give cruise control standard on zetec it does on astra sri spec. One thing thats putting me off astra is electric brake, funny thing but you would get used to it.

ianabbott1 wrote: »
    Thanks , Id be interested in Zetec spec with bluetooth and visibility pack on focus, same with astra only thing focus doesnt give cruise control standard on zetec it does on astra sri spec. One thing thats putting me off astra is electric brake, funny thing but you would get used to it.

I still think when you go to trade in either in a few years you'll get more for the Focus. Hit the dealer hard and see what deal can be done, the Focus is the number one selling car in Ireland this year, Ford can afford to do something for you.
    BTW PM me the details of your local Ford dealer and I'll ask Ford if there's anything that can be done

• Advertisement

Bodhan wrote: »
    I still think when you go to trade in either in a few years you'll get more for the Focus. Hit the dealer hard and see what deal can be done, the Focus is the number one selling car in Ireland this year, Ford can afford to do something for you.
    BTW PM me the details of your local Ford dealer and I'll ask Ford if there's anything that can be done

Ford employee by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

See his sig;)

Ahhhhhhh! OT Actually, do people's sigs come up underneath for ye? I'm using the black theme not the standard one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

if it was me i would drop a year and go for the mondeo.....

Lol, no! I run www.thenextgear.com that's me in the videos. Although the way Ford are selling cars at the moment I won't mind being an employee :)

• Advertisement

Hi all, I wonder has anyone took delivery of new car on a saturday ??
    Im wondering can insurance be transferred over from my current car to my new one? My insurance broker is closed on a saturday and i wonder is it possible for them to have a time say 12pm saturday for my insurance to transfer over to my new car??? I will have new reg number for them but im working right up to saturday and cant get new car till then, thanks
    ian

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ianabbott1 wrote: »
    Hi all, I wonder has anyone took delivery of new car on a saturday ??
    Im wondering can insurance be transferred over from my current car to my new one? My insurance broker is closed on a saturday and i wonder is it possible for them to have a time say 12pm saturday for my insurance to transfer over to my new car??? I will have new reg number for them but im working right up to saturday and cant get new car till then, thanks
    ian

Yes you can, you just ring your broker during the week and arrange in advance for the insurance to transfer over to the new car at a specific time on Saturday. Just make sure that you arrive at the dealership in your old car prior to the agreed time and you don't drive away the new car until that agreed transfer time has passed. Also remember to take the old insurance disc out of your old car as your insurance company may want you to return it to them.

Advertisement