Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowed to fly?

Options
  • 01-11-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

So I have booked a flight to uk in December with aer lingus at 22 weeks. I had a look at their website and it seems I need a letter from my gp to fly. Friends have flown at various stages in their pregnancy and it was only one friend who flew very late in her preg that had to get a letter.
    Anyone have any experience? Do I definitely need a letter?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My missus has flown a number of times while pregnant. Each airline differs, they normally have issues when around 35+ weeks and require a letter then.

But, if Aer Lingus require a letter, it is best to have one to avoid being turned away at the gate. It's probably in the small print that you wont get a refund if this happens.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd nearly get a letter anyway just to be on the safe side, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I would get a letter, just to make sure there is no reason they refuse to let you fly!

Also, bring your chart with you! The chances are you won't need it, but if for any reason you need to be admitted to hospital whilst in the UK, it will be beneficial for you to have your obstetric history there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Yeah, Ill just get one to be on the safe side (hopefully fingers crossed nothing goes wrong)
    Thats good thinking crazy cat lady about the red book, will bring that just in case. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 beanser

Definitely get a letter, and insist that your doctor actually writes the words 'This patient is fit to fly on the dates XXXXX to XXXXX'

I got refused onto a Ryanair flight coming home from Sicily there a while ago, even though I was only 32 weeks (Ryanair let you fly up to 36 weeks for a singleton pregnancy), AND had a letter confirming my due date and that the pregnancy was uncomplicated etc, just because it didn't have the exact words 'fit to fly'- so be careful.

Only was allowed onto the plane because the pilot agreed to take me, and the stress of the whole encounter with the airport staff was worse for the baby than any flying would have been, I'm sure!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

beanser wrote: »
    Definitely get a letter, and insist that your doctor actually writes the words 'This patient is fit to fly on the dates XXXXX to XXXXX'

I got refused onto a Ryanair flight coming home from Sicily there a while ago, even though I was only 32 weeks (Ryanair let you fly up to 36 weeks for a singleton pregnancy), AND had a letter confirming my due date and that the pregnancy was uncomplicated etc, just because it didn't have the exact words 'fit to fly'- so be careful.

Only was allowed onto the plane because the pilot agreed to take me, and the stress of the whole encounter with the airport staff was worse for the baby than any flying would have been, I'm sure!!

Thanks for that information. Oh I can imagine the stress of that thank god the pilot had a bit of cop on.

Advertisement