Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW MOD- Dubhthach.

Options
  • 01-11-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Just a quick note to the forum users- We have a new moderator on the History and Heritage/ Genealogy fora and I am sure people will extend good wishes to Dubhthach.

In relation to Brianthebard I know that alot of the forum users were friendly with him and were disappointed when he stopped modding a few months ago (as I was). It is still hoped that he will return but he seems to be taking some time off for reasons unknown. Things however move on and Dubhthach and I will endeavour to keep the forum running smoothly. Eisenhower once said about change that 'things have never been more like the way they are today in history'. If there are any problems with this please or anything on either fora PM myself or Dubhthach to discuss.

So in summary- Good luck to Dubhthach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Thanks for the welcome. I've always enjoyed history, particulary:
    • Classical/Near Eastern History
    • Asian History (Mongol, Timurid, Japanese)
    • Early Ireland/Medieval Irish history
    • DNA and Population Genetics (in relation to historic populations etc.)
    • Industrial / Computer history

Anyways I hope to contribute positively to this forum. If ye have any questions please feel free to pm.

My username can be shorten to Dubh -- which is considerably easier to remember when posting after several pints ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Hi Dubhthach.

I havent really seen you much in here before but welcome.

When Brian was here it was a fairly dynamic group and he was a very active mod and an all around cool guy.

He posted with us and contributed and discussed sources etc and built a community here.

Whats your style etc.

CD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

CDfm wrote: »
    Hi Dubhthach.

I havent really seen you much in here before but welcome.

When Brian was here it was a fairly dynamic group and he was a very active mod and an all around cool guy.

He posted with us and contributed and discussed sources etc and built a community here.

Whats your style etc.

CD

Hi CD, thanks for the welcome.

In general my moderation style is to be a normal poster most of time and only resort to "Mod mode" when there are clear breeches of Charter etc. I've tended to be more of a reader of threads in here then a poster and generally posted on topics that were of interest me (a que Aughrim, Clontarf etc.).

In general I believe in having a fair/unbiased view of history which heavily relies on collaborative source data.

A lot of people here are into their irish history and go elsewhere for europe etc

I use it for gaps , anomalies where the history i read elsewhere is not quite right.

I dont check in here as much as I used to at all as ever so occasionally it was a little non pc which was part of its charm

There is not so much colloboration discussing sourses and the like which there was and which got me in first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

A lot of people here are into their irish history and go elsewhere for europe etc

I use it for gaps , anomalies where the history i read elsewhere is not quite right.

I dont check in here as much as I used to at all as ever so occasionally it was a little non pc which was part of its charm

There is not so much colloboration discussing sourses and the like which there was and which got me in first

It is still very non-pc ha ha. I suppose the thing with discussing sources is once you have covered a particular topic or era there are less and less sources to discuss. It is a pity you don't post as much as your topics usually take off. I found when I tried to start a topic or two I got very few replies but that is just the nature of a public forum.

• Advertisement

Nhead wrote: »
    It is still very non-pc ha ha. I suppose the thing with discussing sources is once you have covered a particular topic or era there are less and less sources to discuss.

What I meant is a contentious/controvercial area can be covered historical way without causing offence .

Some history fans can be awkward putting forward murky facts and we should be friendlier about it.
    It is a pity you don't post as much as your topics usually take off. I found when I tried to start a topic or two I got very few replies but that is just the nature of a public forum.

Sexual predators in Irish History could be a lot of fun.Though, one needs to know one's history to know who they are . I snuck Sir William Wildes sexual misconduct case in somewhere once.

It would be nice to see the forum operating as a community again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

What I meant is a contentious/controvercial area can be covered historical way without causing offence .

Some history fans can be awkward putting forward murky facts and we should be friendlier about it.

Sexual predators in Irish History could be a lot of fun.Though, one needs to know one's history to know who they are . I snuck Sir William Wildes sexual misconduct case in somewhere once.

It would be nice to see the forum operating as a community again.

Agree fully on this. With regard to contentious areas such as sexual predators in Irish history and other such topics they would be welcome on the forum. If the contentious issue is to do with nationalism vs. unionism or religion it needs closer attention. Sources are important for both as they inform people interested in a topic as to how a posters opinions are formed. Feel free to introduce subjects that you think are missing from the forum. The forum is there for people who have an interest in history or heritage and topics can vary as per the users desire. If anyone has ideas that they feel would add to the forum they can PM a moderator to discuss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Best of luck Dubhthach. Johnnie's done a great job all on his lonesome for the past while in what must be one of the most active (serious) fora on Boards - I'm sure he will enjoy the relief of pressure.

Advertisement