Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting 2 dogs

Options
  • 01-11-2011 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We bought a house with a large garden to one side, a walled yard with sheds/kennels/stables other side and a 3/4 acre paddock out the front.

I've never had dogs before, but my wife misses not having them as she grew up in a house where there were dogs, rabbits, hedgehogs, cats, turtles etc..

Will the fact that I've never had one go against me adopting two from ISPCA?
    There's a line on the adoption form: "Why do you want a dog?"
    Why does anyone want a dog before you know it?

You won't "love it/think of it as part of the family" until you get to know it..

For my own part, I'd like a dog

- to go for walks/play football with.
    - be company for my wife while I'm away working
    - security.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

the apoption forms are really to weed out people who are looking for guard dogs or similiar. a lot of rescue dogs have been to hell and back already and the shelters just want them to go to loving homes as pets.

your reasons look perfectly valid, you want a family pet. you have enough space for the dogs so i would think you're a perfect candidate :)

if you've never been around dogs before you should ask what the shelter advise before making any decisions. the good places will take your situation into consideration before advising on breed.

.. or adopt staffies cause they're the best breed ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

No but they will take it in to account when deciding what dog might be suitable for you, if your inexperienced with dogs their not going to give you a high maintenance dog with major behavioural problems which will need a lot of training and an experienced owner.

As for the why do you want a dog question what you have said is perfect, a companian basically. As damagedtrax said it's to weed out the messers that just want a dog to throw out the back on a chain as a guard dog or the 'because I want to be seen walking a big wolf' type yobs.

Any reason why you want 2 dogs as opposed to 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Any reason why you want 2 dogs as opposed to 1?
    Cheers for the info lads.

We thought it better to get two as when we're in work, the dogs can keep eachother company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

We thought it better to get two as when we're in work, the dogs can keep eachother company.

this may prove to be an issue as quite a lot of rescues cant be re-homed with another dog due to issues (anxiety, jealousy, territorialism etc).

for instance my staffie is a beutiful girl, she's brilliant with people all the time and other dogs when we're out and about but she can be a little jealous of other (adult) dogs when they're in her house and i definitly couldnt have another dog live here. funnily enough a friend brought her puppy around but dolly didnt mind the puppy at all!

also you do sometimes see 2 dogs that have previously lived together come into rescues for rehoming together but that seriously limits your breed choice.

not an impossibility but you may find yourself waiting a while.

good luck :)

this may prove to be an issue as quite a lot of rescues cant be re-homed with another dog due to issues (anxiety, jealousy, territorialism etc).

for instance my staffie is a beutiful girl, she's brilliant with people all the time and other dogs when we're out and about but she can be a little jealous of other (adult) dogs when they're in her house and i definitly couldnt have another dog live here. funnily enough a friend brought her puppy around but dolly didnt mind the puppy at all!

also you do sometimes see 2 dogs that have previously lived together come into rescues for rehoming together but that seriously limits your breed choice.

not an impossibility but you may find yourself waiting a while.

good luck :)
    Thanks for that, the two pups we're looking at are 6mths and have been living together for a while now. (not staffs unfortunatly!!):)

I'll report back on progress as and when.

Cheers lads. It's reassuring to have access to a such a broad knowledege base.

• Advertisement

Long story short, ispca didn't bother getting back, and the dogs trust basically had a heart attack at the thought of a dog not being allowed in the house, regardless of the stables/ very large walled yard/paddock the pups would have to run around in.

So two pups from donedeal later, all's well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

PLEASE take a read of this before buying puppies online - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295154

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Rescues go to a lot of trouble and expense to get dogs ready for rehoming so they want to best possible home for them so you can't blame them for wondering why the dogs wouldn't be in the house. Every rescue has their own policy with this though some are more flexible and some might even have dogs who are happier outside but need a home where the dog will still get lots of attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

will we never learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

fair play OP. if you have the room and resources and time and patience and energy then two dogs are better than one. very often dogs come into pounds/rescues in pairs but it's very rare that they can get homed together so if you can take a couple like this that would be ideal for all concerned.

but personally i cant understand why anyone would want a dog that wouldnt be allowed in the house, i dont see the point, dogs want and need human company. it sounds like you might be better off giving the dogs a miss. when they sit outside and bark because they're bored, considering your lack of experience, you might find the easiest solution is to hand them into the pound at which time they become somebody else's problem.

i hope you give some more consideration to getting these dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Long story short, ispca didn't bother getting back, and the dogs trust basically had a heart attack at the thought of a dog not being allowed in the house, regardless of the stables/ very large walled yard/paddock the pups would have to run around in.

I just dont know anyomre...... why bother getting dogs is they are never allowed in the house... i honestly dont blame the dog trust... as they have the animals best heart at interest! dogs dont just need space and a place to run around, they need affection and company Not just eachothers :(
    and unless you intend to live outdoors i cant see why you bothered....

and as for donedeal .... :confused::confused::confused::confused:.... when will people ever learn

fair play OP. if you have the room and resources and time and patience and energy then two dogs are better than one. very often dogs come into pounds/rescues in pairs but it's very rare that they can get homed together so if you can take a couple like this that would be ideal for all concerned.

but personally i cant understand why anyone would want a dog that wouldnt be allowed in the house, i dont see the point, dogs want and need human company. it sounds like you might be better off giving the dogs a miss. when they sit outside and bark because they're bored, considering your lack of experience, you might find the easiest solution is to hand them into the pound at which time they become somebody else's problem.

i hope you give some more consideration to getting these dogs.

Sorry for the delay getting back, was out with the dogs.

The pups were/are happy out, didnt go near a puppy farm.. Turns out the owner was a friend of a friend, so ye can calm down on that front.

As far as living with a dog in the house. No thanks. Ye do realise there's a large amount of people with kennels where the dogs stay quite happily.. But each to their own and all that.

As for my inexperience, my wife having numerous dogs her hole life more than compensates. And sure cant i come on here for unbiased friendly advice?

Of course you are rick, it's just there's a large portion of dog owners that would have theirs indoors but as long as yours are warm and safe it's all good and the very best of luck to you all (I do hope they might wrangle their way into the fire of a cold winter's night ;)

now let's see some pics of the little bastards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I've come here before about the idea of adopting a dog and was also advised against it, as I'd also be out at work all day. I approached the dspca and they didn't get back to me either. Briefly, my situation is that I am a single parent who works full time - Ive a 9yr old boy. I always had dogs as a kid, and my son would love a dog now too..we often mind my brothers dog for a weekend and he cries when we have to send her back:(

I would have thought that a dog was much better off in a loving home environment - even though it was outside during the working day - than in a dogs rescue centre - where I imagine it wouldn't get much love everyday - except from the handlers when they have to feed it:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Fittle wrote: »
    I would have thought that a dog was much better off in a loving home environment - even though it was outside during the working day - than in a dogs rescue centre - where I imagine it wouldn't get much love everyday - except from the handlers when they have to feed it:confused::confused:

You see, here's the problem, and I hope this helps you to understand why many rescues don't rehome dogs where the owner works full-time. I run a rescue, and unless the adopter has demonstrably committed to having their dog catered for in some way to alleviate the long day, be it daycare, dog walker, relations minding dog etc, I don't rehome dogs to them.
    Why?
    Two reasons. The first is that it Is absolutely clear that dogs are significantly more likely to develop behavioural problems when left alone for long hours. The working upper limit for dogs to be "safely" left alone is 5 hours.
    The second is that many rescues take in dogs surrendered precisely because the dog is suffering from behavioural problems or stress due to being left alone for long hours on a regular basis.
    So, it would surely be utter madness for a rescue to take a dog from a non-ideal situation which caused poor welfare for the dog, and put him back into a similar situation?
    That's not rescue. That's just moving dogs around. The ideology used by any good rescue is that they promise each dog an upgrade on his old life, as good an upgrade as the rescue can find for each dog. Moving a dog from a life of solitude to another breaks that promise.
    I didn't develop these policies for the laugh, I presume other rescues don't either. These policies are there to protect the dog.
    That said, with careful matching, a real couch potato dog can do fine alone for long hours, you might just want to shop around some different rescues.
    But the point of my post is to help you understand that it's nothing personal, and it might make people think more about the welfare of the dog in all of this, and perhaps encourage full-time workers who want a dog to arrange for ways to break up the day a bit to alleviate boredom and stress.

PS I do think it's rude for a rescue not to reply to enquiries. I find it better to be straight and honest from the outset with people. It does open me up to being ranted at from time to time, but most people seem to appreciate an honest opinion

Thanks for explaining that in such detail to me, much appreciated. I agree that of course being left alone for long periods is not ideal but it's never been explained to me like that before. Thanks again.

Thanks for explaining that in such detail to me, much appreciated. I agree that of course being left alone for long periods is not ideal but it's never been explained to me like that before. Thanks again.
    It's a terrible catch 22 for rescue dogs, you have to be at home to spend time with them, but have to go to work to give them a good quality of life..

It's a terrible catch 22 for rescue dogs, you have to be at home to spend time with them, but have to go to work to give them a good quality of life..

I agree...and I also have the added dilema of a 9yr old who is desperate for a dog:(

Of course you are rick, it's just there's a large portion of dog owners that would have theirs indoors but as long as yours are warm and safe it's all good and the very best of luck to you all (I do hope they might wrangle their way into the fire of a cold winter's night ;)

now let's see some pics of the little bastards :)
    For all my plans of them staying out in the garden, they spend more time in the sitting room than anywhere else!

Here's the little bitches..

bailey_and_val.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

For all my plans of them staying out in the garden, they spend more time in the sitting room than anywhere else!

Here's the little bitches..

bailey_and_val.jpg

What gorgeous puppies... so jealous!

I’m glad they are allowed indoors ...

while my dog sleeps indoors, not all dogs like or have to sleep indoors but they do need to be included and allowed in the house during the day...its all they need and want!

Enjoy, they look very cute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I agree...and I also have the added dilema of a 9yr old who is desperate for a dog:(

If you really think you could offer a good quality of life to a dog despite your working full time why not visit your local pound, there are plenty of dogs there that are desperately in need of a home and most pounds as far as I know don't really look into your circumstances as they just don't have the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I'm all for people adopting directly from the pound but when there are children in the family I think it is essential when considering a rescue dog to get one that is already assessed by a rescue.

Fittle, sorry if I missed it but what are your circumstances ie how long would the dog be left for, can you arrange someone to come in during the day, what breed are you interested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

ahh OP they're lovely - puppies have a way of worming their way in dont they? enjoy them.

well done that man, i hope you have very many years of fun with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shandy1

Beautiful!! I love seeing happy endings to dogs getting homes, and they look happy indeed..as do you with the latest arrivals..congrats and enjoy :)

Advertisement