Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Hospital Appointment

Options
  • 01-11-2011 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hey People

Slight Dilemma..But a good one-ish :rolleyes:

My other half has just started a job (after 3.5 yrs out of work THANK GOD!!!!:D), and we have our 2nd hospital appointment today. We had our 1st at 12 weeks 1 day. We were scanned then, urine checked, weight & height etc.

What im wondering is, will I have that anomaly (spelling??) scan today since im 18w 2days. Or will that be kept for the next visit, which I am assuming is not for 8-10 weeks? Taking us up to Jan??

The reason im wondering is, He doesnt want to miss a scan and a chance to see Junior, however, if the chances of having a scan are slim, he doesnt wanna upset his new boss by needing time off already.

Although his work is Weather dependant, today is the first day in 2 weeks its not been raining first thing :rolleyes:

Whats the general consensus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

It really depends on the hospital you are visiting and also if you are public/private/semi-private. It seems a lot of hospitals in Dublin do an anomaly scans but much less around the country. The WHO recommend two scans in normal pregnancies one early on and then a second one. The earlier ones are more accurate for dating. My hospitals normal 2nd scan is the last few weeks of pregnancy.

Perhaps give the hospital a quick ring to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

AH oui, I'm going public to Castlebar.. I'll give them a buzz so. thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

Hi OP

I'm also at Castlebar and I'm a public patient. The first visit like you was a scan etc. My second visit was just blood pressure, urine test etc with nurse and then the doctor just checked fetal heartbeat and asked me questions. I'm due my 3rd visit next week and I'm not so sure I will even get a scan then. Like holidaygirl said, I think they will save the next scan for a few weeks before my due date. That's all that was mentioned to me by the sonographer in Castlebar and my GP agreed that this was most likely unless they found reason otherwise and needed to scan sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

hey we didnt get a scan, just the fetal heartbeat was checked.. that visit was classed as my "booking appointment"

oh well... at least everythings ok :D

Advertisement