Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unblocking USB drives?

Options
  • 01-11-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I have a laptop at home that belongs to my employers. Problem is they have the USB drives locked down so they only work with their own branded USB sticks, USB mouse and O2 fob for internet access,

I just want to view photos from my camera on the laptop but can't?

Any ideas on how to remove the restriction? I've tried device manager but it's not listed to enable it.

If connected though I can go to the icon in bottom right hand corner which says to safely remove hardware and it's listed there as disabled??

Any ideas on how to lift restriction??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

It is probably controlled by software which is managed centrally in your company so unlikely without some form of hacking that you'd be in a position to unlock it without their authority.

I'd humbly suggest that irrespective of your employment status at the present time, that you are attempting to tort a policy which your employer has in place with respect to usb drives. I understand you have the best of intentions with regard to what you say and its only personal photos so it can't be any big deal. But, in order to not end up in trouble with your employer, you should probably just give them a buzz, find out is it acceptable to connect a camera (no big deal you'd imagine) and download photos. If it is acceptable then they will rescind the lock down of the USB ports probably just for your camera.

Having said you'd imagine its no big deal, it effectively means they would be allowing you to put a memory card reader onto their laptop and thus may have concerns if this is what the company policy is setup to prevent - you may be able thus to put any memory card into the camera thereby potentially having access to copy or import anything that you (or of more concern an unauthorised person) may want but your employer may not want on their system. That said, depending on their lock down solution they may be able to provide access to the camera via the usb and only download files which are verified jpg or camera raw, etc...

So, imho, you'd be better doing this by threading carefully and asking/requesting your employer to grant you the privilege - just to make sure it won't cause you grief further down the line.

Advertisement