Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move a Computer Program from one pc to another

Options
  • 01-11-2011 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

as it says in the title, only I don't have the original CD that came for the software and the company that wrote the software are gone.

anybody know of a program that can do this task
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

You can copy the whole folder from your program files (assuming you are uing windows operating system) onto a usb stick or burn it to disc, then when you have it copied onto the other computer double click on the ".exe" file and it should run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

GAAman wrote: »
    You can copy the whole folder from your program files (assuming you are uing windows operating system) onto a usb stick or burn it to disc, then when you have it copied onto the other computer double click on the ".exe" file and it should run
    Really, really not advisable. Its nowhere near that simple unless its a very, very simple program. You'll miss files that were installed to the user folder, the Windows folder and any registry entries that were made.

OP, the only way to do it for sure is to source an original installation file or disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

As aidan_walsh suggested, it's very rare that a simple program copy works under windows.

If it doesn't work then one option may be to virtualize the old PC (the application and all others, windows and everything), and run the complete system as a program on the new PC.

Software such as Acronis TrueImage or VMware VCentre Converter could allow you to do this. However if this is a company production machine, be aware that it could also go horribly wrong, best left to someone who can clone the hard drive and operate on a safe backup.

If the software requires activation or licensing then you may be sunk. Is the software custom made for your business? There's a remote possibility that the installer is still cached on the PC temporary files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

paconnors wrote: »
    as it says in the title, only I don't have the original CD that came for the software and the company that wrote the software are gone.

anybody know of a program that can do this task

Is the computer with the app installed accessible to your other computer ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694

will only work if the other machine is clean install of windows with same patches/service pack

also may still keel over if the original machine has non-generic or non-microsoft drivers

in any event you'll probably need to be sure of your licensing before you do this. since copyright exists until 70 years after the death of the author there is no such thing legally as abandonware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

+1 what aidan_walsh said...

I have done it a couple of times and got it to work, but it generally only works with applications that run from just an executable file and not from modern programs that write information to the Windows registry...

What software is it that you are looking for... You may be able to get a copy online..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It really only depends what dependencies it has to other files, DLL's etc. If it has none it may work ok. If it does its a completely lottery if you'd get it working. You might get lucky manually registering them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Well first I would try the copy and hope for the best..if not and depending on how vital the program is and no other support available I would copy the whole windows install and use in a virtual machine on the other pc....I have no idea how stupid that may sound to the registry experts but that what I would do .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

4Sheets wrote: »
    Well first I would try the copy and hope for the best..if not and depending on how vital the program is and no other support available I would copy the whole windows install and use in a virtual machine on the other pc....I have no idea how stupid that may sound to the registry experts but that what I would do .
    chances are you'll get a Stop 7B Blue screen of death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Cheers for all the info, i was able to copy one folder from one machine to the other without any hiccups

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

chances are you'll get a Stop 7B Blue screen of death

True:)

Advertisement