Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expensive popcorn - please help

Options
  • 31-10-2011 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey Mr Dentist,

I was eating popcorn last night and my bottom molar chipped! About one eighth of the tooth was gone, absolutely no pain or discomfort at all. When I was looking at it in the mirror and feeling it it felt like there was another piece loose or cracked by popcorn.

Was eating breakfast this morning and again an another bit chipped off. I think this was the loose piece I felt lastnight.

About one quater of the molar is missing from the gumline. I havnt felt anything at all pain wise and even ate ice cream and drank tea and coffee all day.

What is the prognosis do you think? Is it a major job??
    Hope not :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Folks, Id hardly need an root canal treatment or the likes - surely id of felt it by now if the nerves were damaged or exposed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Usually all that is needed is a filling. It depends on the amount of decay (usually the cause of the fracture in the first place). Sometimes a crown is recommended but again it depends on how bad the fracture. Everything is fixable don't stress and go to a dentists ASAP to get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Thanks so much for your post, just have an unreal fear of the dentist.

a corner of the tooth about a quater of it is gone completely and is gone from the gumline - would they be able just to fill it to make up the whole tooth? would I need root canal?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP, you will have a fear until you go.

Believe me I know, I needed serious work done and was worried that once I got into the chair there'd be a boat load more of drilling etc needed for loads of problems.

The longer you leave it, the more work will probably be needed which leads to a patient view of it being a horrible experience which means the next time you'll probably leave it longer!.

go today!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

The exact same thing happened to me eating popcorn, twice !! On both occasions the dentist rebuilt my tooth (using a pollyfilla type material :) and filled it. It was not painful and not expensive, just the cost of the filling. Both teeth have been fine since. But you need to go today or else you could risk doing further damage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement