Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CAREER HELP NEEDED !!

Options
  • 31-10-2011 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello All! Thank you for reading my post :)

I'm 16 and currently in 5th year. Over the past few days I've been in career depression mode, as I really don't know what path to go down after the LC. I know a lot of you will be thinking I have plenty of time to think about it , but it would really put me at ease if I had an idea!

Moving on from my waffling, I know I will need to give my subjects and strengths , etc. I'm studying Maths, English, Irish, French, Biology, Chemistry, Music and Accounting all HL. My favourite subject, and always has been, is English. (Really hope I don't make some spelling and grammar mistakes now.. ). I love writing essays, using my imagination and thinking up of ideas. It comes very natural to me ! What jobs are out there , based on my strengths?? PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

1. Turn off the bold option on your post
    2. Talk to your Career Guidance person - assuming your school has one.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 efcdrummer

Sorry if my use of bold writing has offended. It is my first post. So I will now turn my bold writing off. Guidance Councillor will be visited soon, but I thought the intelligence of my fellow boards.ie members would be superior to the advice given by my Guidance Councillor. Anyone else with advice??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Boom!

You dont have plenty of time its nearly Christmas. BAM!:D
    Second thing you do it choose a course area. You like English research in that department. E.g teaching.
    you like writing unfortunately writing now comes in the form of typing Bam!
    3rd After your mocks see where you excel* and where you fell. They will be hard so choose wisely.
    fourth. I Recommend taking a million assessment tests. they will tell you were you are suppose to be. Mine was in physical and communication

This post is up for any correction you wish to make on it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

A quick suggestion would be to look st the jobs section in the Irish Times....circle the jobs that you think sound interesting and mention them to your career guidance teacher...another thing you might do is go to any of the college/university open days...as they highlight all the different courses available and they might be of interest. Finally the best way to know what you want to do is to know what you definitely don't want to do.
    Do you want to work with the public?
    Do you want to work with the sick?
    Do you want to work outside?
    those kind of questions can help narrow down your choices for you

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback. I hope I don't have to wait til the mocks in 6th year to find out what I want to do ! Maybe you have misinterpreted my post and mistaken me for a 6th year! But I like the idea of continuous assessment tests :)

This is for Bonzer1again (don't really know how to use this website so apologies.. ) .
    I never knew a national newspaper contained a job section, so there you go, learn something new every day. I'll take a look at it definitely. From the feedback, I'm getting the impression that I need to work with my career guidance councillor so that is one thing I will take on board. Will college/university open days be of much help do you think? Our school doesn't get to go to any until 6th year :( I like that idea of whittling it down, ,I think I seen that on Qualifax or something, definitely helped. Thanks a million !!

Sorry my bad lol. Ya do work with your career teacher. speak your mind. i know i did and she helped me gave me lots of options. I strongly suggest doing Work experience great way to know where you want to be.

In relation to your school not going till 6th. imo fuzzed the school and take the day off and go and go again in 6th. Cause there will be points you will have missed out on.

Yeah I did Transition Year and had lots of Work Experience. My Parents wanted me to go down the Science route but after doing work experience in a Pharmacy, Veterinary Practice and Dental Hospital I knew it just wasn't for me! I agree, we should be let go in 5th year, but I remember my bro went to some open days at the weekend so I could try that.

efcdrummer wrote: »
    Yeah I did Transition Year and had lots of Work Experience. My Parents wanted me to go down the Science route but after doing work experience in a Pharmacy, Veterinary Practice and Dental Hospital I knew it just wasn't for me! I agree, we should be let go in 5th year, but I remember my bro went to some open days at the weekend so I could try that.

go with where your happy. cause its ur course your the one studying be happy

• Advertisement
Advertisement