Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

radio problem

Options
  • 31-10-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

My car radio has stopped working and I wonder if it's anything to do with the fact that I joined the leads to the wrong terminals when jump-starting the car a while back. The power aerial has also stopped working.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

aa_ wrote: »
    My car radio has stopped working and I wonder if it's anything to do with the fact that I joined the leads to the wrong terminals when jump-starting the car a while back. The power aerial has also stopped working.

Have you checked the fuses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Specifically, check the fuse on the red lead supplying 12volts to the radio....your power aerial wont work because the radio isnt telling it to...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

Hi, I don't see any fuse for the radio, I thought radios weren't fused like the other electrical stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

there's usually a fuse inside the back of the radio itself, that fuse could have blown. on some car stereos you can pull the rectangle shaped fuse out without taking the car stereo apart. the fuse should look like a plastic see-through thing with one prong on each end of it. if there is no fuse in the back of the radio then have a look at the video here to work it out.

zenno wrote: »
    there's usually a fuse inside the back of the radio itself, that fuse could have blown. on some car stereos you can pull the rectangle shaped fuse out without taking the car stereo apart. the fuse should look like a plastic see-through thing with one prong on each end of it. if there is no fuse in the back of the radio then have a look at the video here to work it out.

Thanks, I'll try that. Strange the radio fuse isn't with all the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

There is usually an in-line fuse on the wire supplying 12volts to the radio, generally, I think in case somebody decides to wire it directly to the battery in which case it could be a fire hazard if there was no fuse.

let us know how you got on ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

There are usually 2 fuses supplying power to your radio. One is for permanent supply and the second is switched throug the ignition. Both fuses are located in fuse board . If I had details of type of car and year I may be able to help more. My full time job is repairing all types of car audio sound systems.

There are usually 2 fuses supplying power to your radio. One is for permanent supply and the second is switched throug the ignition. Both fuses are located in fuse board . If I had details of type of car and year I may be able to help more. My full time job is repairing all types of car audio sound systems.
    Thanks. My car is a Volvo 940 1997, but I'm not sure if the radio/CD player is the original one (it's a Sony). I've rooted around everywhere for fuses but can't find one for the radio.
    (Thanks also to exaisle).

Sony radio is not the original one for the car. Apart from the 2 fuses supplying power there is also another one directly connectrd to the radio. This one which is usually a 10 amp plugged directly into the back of radio. You will find this fuse if the wiring loom is unplugged from rear of radio.

Sony radio is not the original one for the car. Apart from the 2 fuses supplying power there is also another one directly connectrd to the radio. This one which is usually a 10 amp plugged directly into the back of radio. You will find this fuse if the wiring loom is unplugged from rear of radio.
    OK, I'll check the fuses. Apart from the one plugged into the back of the radio, where are the others located?

• Advertisement

Fuse board under bonnet or there can also be another inside car .

Fuse board under bonnet or there can also be another inside car .
    Thanks, I'll have a look at it now.

Advertisement