Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple cookbooks??

Options
  • 31-10-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi

Im looking for a cookbook which would give recipes like for simple dinner meals? Like for spagehtti bolgnase.. cook the meat for 20mins. boil water for spagetti and cook that for 15 mins. add the sauce to the meat, and a few chopped veggies, let it heat up for ten mins.

Like something simple which doesnt need alot of preparing, and you dont spend alot of time cooking. Suitable for a college student?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have a compatible phone I suggest Jamie Oliver's Recipes.
    You simply choose a few recipes and add them to a shopping list. The app will then summarise what's needed and tells you in the shop.

I have it and really like it. A few free ones, you then pay for the rest.
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/apps/
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamies-recipes/id398011800?mt=8

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

biko wrote: »
    If you have a compatible phone I suggest Jamie Oliver's Recipes.
    You simply choose a few recipes and add them to a shopping list. The app will then summarise what's needed and tells you in the shop.

I have it and really like it. A few free ones, you then pay for the rest.
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/apps/
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamies-recipes/id398011800?mt=8

Thanks for your response.

That's a good idea. I might try that!

But do you (or anyone) have any ideas in book form? Incase someone would borrow it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Have a look in bookshops (I know Easons have them) for the Hamlyn series of books. They have books like '200 Wok Recipes' '200 Low Calorie Recipes' '200 Chicken Recipes' '200 Pasta Recipes and so on. The recipes are very easy too and the books are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Jamie Olivers Ministry of Food book is excellent for everyday meals, easily explained, and tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

Or you could go for something like this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Any of the australian womens weekly books are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

Donal Skehan's books have lots of simple recipes. Most of the recipes only call for a few ingredients - I would definitely recommend this. Have a look on Amazon, I think they are pretty cheap there. Also, as mentioned above the 'Hamlyn' series, or the BBC Good Food books are packed full of lots of quick and easy recipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

Thanks a million for the suggestions!! I will look into them!! :)

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I received this as a present last Christmas a while ago and find it really good:

What To Cook and How To Cook It

I like cooking stuff from scratch, because that's what I was used to at home. But haven't done a lot and don't know any recipes from my head really. So found this great for everyday meals.

Has some very basic stuff, all explained very clearly with lots of pictures; also has some slightly fancier stuff explained in same simple manner.

I have Jamie's Ministry of Food as well, and would reccommend it too.

Some of those student cookbooks are great, just have a flick through one before buying. Some take the view of a cook who knows nothing at all (good approach, i think).
    But some are more aimed at feeding yourself on tinned tuna, beans and a Euro for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

Hi

I am looking for some cook book suggestions which have all round meals, starters, main course and desserts in one book, and also easy to follow recipes (newbie here :P)

Thanks in advance!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I would recommend Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook.

Loads of recipes and very easy to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Delia's "How to Cook"

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Jamie Oliver's "Ministry Of Food" is a great place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dairy-Book-Home-Cookery-Nineties/dp/1860194850/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398529245&sr=1-1&keywords=dairy+cooking+book

1st book I ever used and still do sometimes. Simple food-Dairy based but don't let that put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Delia Smithsbooks are good at basics (if they are still around :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I got this book (Mum's Favourite Recipes) as a gift and it is excellent for all the old classics, including simple baking, stocks and sauces. As much as I like experimenting with food and browsing recipes online and in more advanced books, I always come back to this book. It seems to have every thing I'm looking for and no recipe has ever failed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I have Delia's complete illustrated cookery course and Darina's similar effort, I find them good but there's just too much squeezed into every page, that might be good for some people but it turns me off. My favourite simple cookbook is Marcus Wareing's "How to cook the perfect".

OP it sounds like the kind of recipes you are looking for are like the ones in my wife's old home economics book which was re-released recently http://www.easons.com/p-12126-all-about-home-economics.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thimble

OP it sounds like the kind of recipes you are looking for are like the ones in my wife's old home economics book which was re-released recently
    Now that's a blast from the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Jamie Oliver's "Ministry Of Food" is a great place to start

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

sheesh wrote: »
    Delia Smithsbooks are good at basics (if they are still around :o)

Oh they are :) I spend a lot of time googling "delia"+"hard" +"boiled" + "eggs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Oh they are :) I spend a lot of time googling "delia"+"hard" +"boiled" + "eggs"

I've one of Heston Blumenthal's books - the recipe for a fried egg sandwich runs to about 3 pages, but the result is gorgeous!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Darina Allen has an excellent book for a new-to-cooking person. Its a grey book called "ballymaloe cookery course"

What I especially like about it is that she describes what you need to shop for - so if you are new to cooking fish for instance, she will explain how to tell if the fish is fresh, or what type of cut of beef to ask a butcher for, and describes the quality you'd expect when choosing fresh produce.

She also has a lot of base recipes - sauces, ice creams etc so she will outline the basic recipe then you have 5 or 6 variations of that recipe to try.

The books are easy to follow, especially if you are new to cooking properly. I've never went wrong on a recipe yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Neyite wrote: »
    Darina Allen has an excellent book for a new-to-cooking person. Its a grey book called "ballymaloe cookery course"

What I especially like about it is that she describes what you need to shop for - so if you are new to cooking fish for instance, she will explain how to tell if the fish is fresh, or what type of cut of beef to ask a butcher for, and describes the quality you'd expect when choosing fresh produce.

She also has a lot of base recipes - sauces, ice creams etc so she will outline the basic recipe then you have 5 or 6 variations of that recipe to try.

The books are easy to follow, especially if you are new to cooking properly. I've never went wrong on a recipe yet.

+1 to this.

Bought it cheaply through The Book People at work years ago. I mightn't use it for ages but when I do it always has what I'm looking for and is clearly laid out. It's a bit of a weighty tome and might look daunting but it's a great resource.

Advertisement