Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laverty joins factory Alitalia Aprilia team

Options
  • 31-10-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hadn't seen this posted here yet, surely this makes Norge a serious World Championship contender next year. Himself and Rea should both be hoping to compete at the top end of the class next season.

Delighted for Laverty after a brilliant first season in WSBK and the potentially heartbreaking news that he was dealt by Yamaha a couple of months back.

I must see what odds bookmakers are willing to offer on him.
    APRILIA have confirmed that Eugene Laverty will join the factory Alitalia team, partnering Max Biaggi.

In his first ride on the factory RSV4, Laverty ended the post-season test with the quickest time - quickly adapting to the compact V4 superbike he will ride next season.

Laverty signed a two-year contract with the Italian manufacturer after an impressive debut WSB season, finishing fourth and scoring two victories with Yamaha.

After the test the 25-year-old from Toomebridge gave his first impressions: "That felt pretty good and I did a 1'42.8, and a few other fast laps too. When I first rode it, it felt small and I noticed how much I could move around the bike.

"We had to make some changes, from the base setting that Aprilia has. We had some chatter and some harshness and we really worked through a lot really and by the end we had all but fixed all the problems we had.

"Everything I had heard about the Aprilia was a little bit scared of the rigidity, the lack of engine brake but it was no problems at the end of me. For me the engine brake was fine and I thought there would be less. I was looking forward to riding this bike and it has really impressed me."

Laverty had been expected to compete out of the secondary PATA outfit next season, albeit on a factory bike, after conducting the test out of their garage.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-racing-news-wsb/laverty-to-partner-biaggi-in-2012/19323.html#ixzz1cMWOlJ00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Magown3

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Hadn't seen this posted here yet, surely this makes Norge a serious World Championship contender next year. Himself and Rea should both be hoping to compete at the top end of the class next season.

Delighted for Laverty after a brilliant first season in WSBK and the potentially heartbreaking news that he was dealt by Yamaha a couple of months back.

I must see what odds bookmakers are willing to offer on him.

The first and last line of that quote seem to contradict each other. I think he's in the Alitalia team like the first line, not the PATA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Magown3 wrote: »
    The first and last line of that quote seem to contradict each other. I think he's in the Alitalia team like the first line, not the PATA.

You are right that he is in the Alitalia team, but the article doesn't state that he is on the PATA. It says that he was expected to be on the PATA team because he tested with them, or at least out of their garage.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    You are right that he is in the Alitalia team, but the article doesn't state that he is on the PATA. It says that he was expected to be on the PATA team because he tested with them, or at least out of their garage.

Oops, you're right... My bad!

It's a good move for him. I cant' wait to see how he gets on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

It's a good move for him. I cant' wait to see how he gets on with it.

I hope it works out for him but I'm not sure if I think its a good move or not. Its the most competitive option for next season but Aprilia dont offer any MotoGP prospects for a rider very deserving of a chance in the premier class. I really thought that Tech 3 would have taken a chance on him for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

frostie500 wrote: »
    I hope it works out for him but I'm not sure if I think its a good move or not. Its the most competitive option for next season but Aprilia dont offer any MotoGP prospects for a rider very deserving of a chance in the premier class. I really thought that Tech 3 would have taken a chance on him for next year

I would have expected that with the new rules incoming they would have put him in with Edwards in the new team.

Glad to see that he's going to be on a good bike though as it would have been a shame to see him flounder in a muck team.

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    I would have expected that with the new rules incoming they would have put him in with Edwards in the new team.

Glad to see that he's going to be on a good bike though as it would have been a shame to see him flounder in a muck team.

Id say that Laverty would have rejected a move to a CRT machine because theres no way of knowing what will be competitive in the new class and after his struggles with uncompetitive machinery in 250s Id say he is only willing to go back to GPs for a proper chance of being competitive. WSBK gives him the best chance to win and show his talent but its just sad that he is now riding for a factory with little prospect of a promotion to MotoGP, thats what was so good about the Yamaha contract. Still if he can beat Biaggi next year on the same bike he will do his stock the world of good

I agree with the Aprilia comments and the fact that it doesn't really offer a path to Moto GP, but in all honesty, if you go out and trounce the rest of the paddock and win the championship by a mile, doesn't matter what you're riding coz you'll be hot property ;)

I agree with the Aprilia comments and the fact that it doesn't really offer a path to Moto GP, but in all honesty, if you go out and trounce the rest of the paddock and win the championship by a mile, doesn't matter what you're riding coz you'll be hot property ;)

Thats true to a certain point but I cant see Aprilia suddenly finding the pace they used to have in this bike when they used pneumatic valves. The weight change for twins could hamper Ducati but will it be enough to get the Aprilia competitive over the course of a season?

Advertisement