Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to sell sci fi books

Options
  • 31-10-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭

hi all,

anyone know of any shops buying second hand sci fi books? i've just gone through my collection and have about 60-100 duplicates which i'd like to get rid of. all the books are sci fi or fantasy from the 70s till now and in all kinds of state. well read to brand new.

cheers to anyone who can offer some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

adverts.ie or you could drag them into chapters.

adverts.ie first, then chaptering the ones nobody wants is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

L wrote: »
    adverts.ie or you could drag them into chapters.

adverts.ie first, then chaptering the ones nobody wants is probably your best bet.

cheers, i can't be bothered putting them through adverts, as i want to bulk sell, and not ist them and sell them 1 by 1, which is what will happen on adverts. i'll give chapters a call

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

You'll get very little for them, just so you know. Most sci fi is pretty mass printed.
    There are a couple of other places around the city centre buying books. The Secret bookstore off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Aye, tbh, the price second hand books get from a bookshop isn't worth it.

You'd be lucky to get €1 per book that way while selling them directly to people would make you a few quid per book. Your choice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

perhaps get in touch with scifi soc of TCD. if you send them a list of your books and perhaps a photograph of them all (no need to individually photo the books just put them all out on the ground and take a nice big photo). They have a scifi libr your books might complement. i'm nothing to do with scifi soc tcd but only making a suggestion they might tell you to gfo.

http://www.sfsoc.com/?page_id=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Nevore wrote: »
    You'll get very little for them, just so you know. Most sci fi is pretty mass printed.
    There are a couple of other places around the city centre buying books. The Secret bookstore off the top of my head.
    L wrote: »
    Aye, tbh, the price second hand books get from a bookshop isn't worth it.

You'd be lucky to get €1 per book that way while selling them directly to people would make you a few quid per book. Your choice though.

i know they're worth more but haven't got the patience to sell them 1 by 1. there are some real gems in them as well, real old school 70s sci fi with the amazingly kitsch or crazy artwork
    perhaps get in touch with scifi soc of TCD. if you send them a list of your books and perhaps a photograph of them all (no need to individually photo the books just put them all out on the ground and take a nice big photo). They have a scifi libr your books might complement. i'm nothing to do with scifi soc tcd but only making a suggestion they might tell you to gfo.

http://www.sfsoc.com/?page_id=2

great stuff. thanks for the suggestion. i'll get in touch with them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

i know they're worth more but haven't got the patience to sell them 1 by 1. there are some real gems in them as well, real old school 70s sci fi with the amazingly kitsch or crazy artwork

great stuff. thanks for the suggestion. i'll get in touch with them
    Good idea, at least if you sell to a University society you know they are going to an appreciative crowd and hopefully you get more than .50c - E1 a book. (Classic gems or not, Chapters are pretty stingy)

I sold a bunch to chapters recently, it was about 50c per title but I had so many of them I couldn't bear to sell them individually. Going to try adverts for the next batch but I may end up giving them to a charity shop this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

baz8080 wrote: »
    I sold a bunch to chapters recently, it was about 50c per title but I had so many of them I couldn't bear to sell them individually. Going to try adverts for the next batch but I may end up giving them to a charity shop this time.

If you are giving them away, the Book Crossing Ireland crowd might be interested in them http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bookcrossingie/

Or if you don't mind hanging on to them until March (yeah, I know that's quite a while!) you could get a dealers table at PCon and sell them there. You'd probably spend more on the table than you'd make in profit but it could be a laugh :D

Advertisement