Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westland Lysander

Options
  • 30-10-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Not sure if this is of any interest to people but i'll post it anyway. This is a photograph given to me by my uncle when I was young. He joined the RAF in 1945 and became interested in model aeroplane building- gliders and powered models. He was building a scale flying model of a Westland Lysander and wrote to the British War Commission(?) for photographs- that is what I remember. But from the stamp at the back of the photo he may have written directly to Westland? Anyway here is an official photo that they sent him back.

I have had this photo framed and hanging on a wall for the last 20 years. It is a large photo about 10x8 inches. Thought that I should scan it in case it fades.

WestlandLysander.jpg

WestlandLysander_back.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Nice photograph.

This is what the net says about it:

"First prototype (K6127) flown on June 15, 1936, powered by 840 hp Bristol Mercury IX and second (K6128) on December 11, 1936, with 905 hp Mercury XII."

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

FiSe wrote: »
    Nice photograph.

This is what the net says about it:

"First prototype (K6127) flown on June 15, 1936, powered by 840 hp Bristol Mercury IX and second (K6128) on December 11, 1936, with 905 hp Mercury XII."

Thanks for that! :) Nice to know that is the actual prototype!

Advertisement