Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Irish-US citizenship, options?

Options
  • 30-10-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I'm a first year Law student at University of Limerick. I was born in America but moved to Ireland at an early age, as a result I now hold both Irish and American citizenship.

I've heard people say I could study in America for a year or so for the same fees as I pay in Ireland (I find this strange, I actually paid no fees in Ireland as I'm eligible for the highest level of grant). Anyone know if this is true, or where I could go to find out more about what opportunities there might be for me as a dual citizen? I'd love to spend a semester or two studying US law since my plan after getting my degree is going back to America to study for the Bar exam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm fairly sure you would pay huge fees in the US regardless of where you were born.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

You can study abroad for a year if your course allows it. Check with your law department about studying abroad and which American colleges UL has links with. If you spend a year studying abroad you only pay the Irish fees.

Just about Law, it is a postgraduate subject so it is nearly impossible to study it in America if you are an undergraduate. You can take Law classes in different departments like Business, but getting into Law School is close to impossible. This could all depend on the links UL Law department has with American colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

the way to get cheap tuition fees is live in-state for at least a year, plus apply for as many scholarships etc as possible, high standard test scores help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

ive seen on boards if its part of an exchange you pay the same fees as in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

apologies for a poor taste joke sorry OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

ITS_A_BADGER warned for dubious humour and unhelpful contribution.

OP if you want to do an exchange year your citizenship is pretty immaterial (except when it comes to visa/immigration issues of course). The usual way of doing the year in the US as part of your degree is through a partner agreement between your home uni and the uni you're going to. With those agreements you pay the same at UL as if you were doing the year there and the American student does the same in America - you effectively just 'swap' places so it doesn't cost you/them any more than if you stayed home. Although we don't have tuition fees here you'll have to cover housing costs in any case, by either a) paying the equivalent of a year's halls fees at UL or b) paying for your dorms once you get to America.

Law is indeed a postgrad subject but there are undergraduate modules at most colleges in related areas like international law/criminal justice/legal policy etc. Generally you're allowed to be a bit more liberal with your subject choices on exchange than if you were at home and can often take subjects that aren't really related to your degree but that interest you.

If UL has an international office that's probably the best place to head for info, or google to see what unis they partner with and for what courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Ok I'll check with my college to see what they say, thanks for the help

Advertisement