Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad 2 for my Mum

Options
  • 30-10-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm thinking of getting my Mum an iPad 2 for Christmas.
    She is a little bit scared of computers. She has an old Dell desktop which she uses to purchase books from Amazon, and check her mail now and then.

Do any one of your Mums use an iPad? Do they find it easy to use? Do they like it and get good use out of it?

Thanks in advance.

Zak.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Hi.

I'm thinking of getting my Mum an iPad 2 for Christmas.
    She is a little bit scared of computers. She has an old Dell desktop which she uses to purchase books from Amazon, and check her mail now and then.

Do any one of your Mums use an iPad? Do they find it easy to use? Do they like it and get good use out of it?

Thanks in advance.

Zak.
    I bought my parents an iPad2 recently. It's a great gift. They're still getting used to it. But the fact that they can't accidentally minimize a screen, delete an icon, install a virus, etc means that they're becoming more comfortable with using it.

Great idea, go for it.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

http://www.adverts.ie/ipod-mp3/brand-new-ipad2-32gb-white-no-3g/1069410 :D Just thought I would put up a link might help you

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My mother couldn't even answer a phone years ago and is fairly adept with it now. Even on Facebook, skype etc etc.

Throw her in the deep end. She will learn it and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

My mam is never off the ipad, shes on skype, facebook, gmail, loves the games, everything.
    They are brilliant for the older generation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Thanks a million guys for your input. It seems like a good idea so. I was hoping it's easier to use than a regular computer. As I said previously, my Mum (she's 67) is a little bit scared of computers as she finds them intimidating. It seems like the iPad will be a lot more straightforward for her.
    I can also put all her music cds onto iTunes for her, and get an iPad speaker dock so she can listen anywhere around the house.

• Advertisement

Going against the Forum itself but couldn't you buy her a Netbook instead. They have recently gotten lost behind the realms of tablets but are much more user friendly that a Tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I think she'll get use from an ipad. With a netbook you've got pop ups in browsers, spyware, virus, updates, general OS slowness, windows errors, linux errors, plugins, etc.
    My mam(in her sixties too) started with a netbook(linux) a few years ago and I haven't seen it around in the last year or so since she got the iPad when on holidays in the USA 2 summers ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Going against the Forum itself but couldn't you buy her a Netbook instead. They have recently gotten lost behind the realms of tablets but are much more user friendly that a Tablet.

Not for the basics surfing, email etc. Certainly no contest for the age group OP is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Got one for my mum, she has to charge it every second day, never lets it go! Skype, FaceTime iMessage you name it! Even records a video or takes a picture with it a sends or emails with the thing...I'm starting to think that she gets more use out of it then me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Go for it, they are idiot proof.

I got one for my dad so I could keep in contact with skype/facetime. We had nothing but problems when we would try and start skype on his laptop. Camera wouldn't work, sound was not working, he would minimise the video and not know how to get it back, popups for windows security updates, the list was endless.

Not a single problem with the ipad since he's started using it and he loves it. He even uses it now for his online banking.

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys, you have definitely convinced me that the iPad is the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I made my mother get an iPad because there was no way I was providing tech support for an aging Dell laptop anymore.

It. is. impossible to get her to part with it. She's had it over a year now. Don't think she's ever even asked me a question on how to use it. It's perfect for mammies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They have recently gotten lost behind the realms of tablets but are much more user friendly that a Tablet.
    lol. No they're not. Assuming the tablet is an iPad and the netbook is running Windows, there's no comparison. A non-tech savvy person would find the netbook a nightmare, where as there's very little learning with an iPad.

lol. No they're not. Assuming the tablet is an iPad and the netbook is running Windows, there's no comparison. A non-tech savvy person would find the netbook a nightmare, where as there's very little learning with an iPad.

No you're missing the point. There is a grey cloud floating around because everybody is talking about Tablets and Readers. That doesn't mean a Netbook is a worse prospect because in most respects a Netbook or Laptop is a much better option and better value for user applications.

Whether or not it is a learning curve or a non technical person would find them a nightmare is a bit of a misnomer. It would be like suggesting somebody does not learn to drive a car because a bike is easier to use, fix and even a child can use one.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

that's laughable. By far the best thing about iPad for non technical minded people is that they are intuitive and simple to use. Net books are far less user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My mum has one and she loves it! She had a laptop but was the same as your mum OP ,only used it for buying books on amazon and a bit of browsing. She was always nervous of it, of making a mistake etc and was lost if she accidentally closed a window or the virus scanner kicked up etc.

She got the ipad and presumed it'd be too complicated and she wouldnt be into it. Instead first day it arrived she picked it up and could use it immediately. Its so intuitive that really there's very little learning how to use it and it's unthreatening because any "mistake" can be instantly corrected by pressing the home button. Now my mum can do everything she wants on it and she loves hearing about new apps that might be useful for her. Shes eager and excited to find out anything new she can do with it, thinks it's the best thing she has ever got. Definitely get it for your mum if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

+1

I got one for my mother and she is loving it. She hardly ever uses the computer now and loves how the iPad just works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No you're missing the point. There is a grey cloud floating around because everybody is talking about Tablets and Readers. That doesn't mean a Netbook is a worse prospect because in most respects a Netbook or Laptop is a much better option and better value for user applications.

Whether or not it is a learning curve or a non technical person would find them a nightmare is a bit of a misnomer. It would be like suggesting somebody does not learn to drive a car because a bike is easier to use, fix and even a child can use one.
    I'm not missing the point. You said a netbook is more user friendly than an iPad. It's not. You have now abandoned that point and are instead suggesting that they are better value, more functional and a better option for some people - all of which I'd potentially agree with. But what you said originally was that they were "much more user friendly" and that's what I responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Embarrassing but I might just be around your Mums' ages!

I've used pcs and laptops all the time for work and at home for surfing mostly. But one thing this "aging Dell laptop" is useless for is skype - with no built in webcam or microphone its a pain hunting around for all the bits and then they fall off the table so I actually avoid family skype sessions (a good idea sometimes).

But I thought there was/is a problem using skype on the Pad and that there is no webcam on the iPad - right/wrong?
    Is there some problem attaching usb ports to the ipad? does that affect the use of a dongle for internet access?

Any guidance appreciated.

Mum. (not "your Ma" tho')

iPad is fine for Skype.

You can't plug a USB broadband dongle into it though. You can use a wifi hub dongle though, that most networks now also provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

No USB port on an iPad but the ipad2 has a front facing camera for Skype and FaceTime for between iPad, iPod touch and iPad and mac conversations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Basic question, but I'm only recently after jumping of the iPad/iPhone bandwagon.

How does the iPad connect to the web? Do you run it by subscribing it to a phone company plan such as Meteor or Vodafone, so that regardless of where you are, you have web access; or, can the iPad only pick up wireless signals from non-secured hotspots? If you're a passenger in a car driving from Cork to Dublin, would you have continuous access to the web?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Tremelo wrote: »
    Basic question, but I'm only recently after jumping of the iPad/iPhone bandwagon.

How does the iPad connect to the web? Do you run it by subscribing it to a phone company plan such as Meteor or Vodafone, so that regardless of where you are, you have web access; or, can the iPad only pick up wireless signals from non-secured hotspots? If you're a passenger in a car driving from Cork to Dublin, would you have continuous access to the web?

You can do it either way, depending on which iPad you have.
    WiFi needs Wifi obviously
    WiFi + 3G can use either WiFi or a mobile operators 3G sim card for continuous use while travelling.

If you buy a 3G one, it will work off a 3G sim card like data on a mobile phone.

If you buy a wifi only model it will only work off wifi networks or when tethered to an iPhone. You can tether it via Bluetooth to an iPhone and use the iPhone data connection to access online content.

So in your example you need either a 3G ipad, an iPhone with you as well as iPad, or a wifi 3G dongle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

whiterebel wrote: »
    You can do it either way, depending on which iPad you have.
    WiFi needs Wifi obviously
    WiFi + 3G can use either WiFi or a mobile operators 3G sim card for continuous use while travelling.

Or a sort of mix of the two if you can get your phone to act as a wireless hotspot.

Decided that the iPad 2 is the way to go for my Mum. 16GB will do the job. I think she'll be initially scared of it but will warm to it quickly. Thanks for everyone's input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

User-friendly netbook... I'm sure that's an oxymoron :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I bought one as a Xmas present for my 70 year old parents. I was forever being asked to sort out 'problems' with his email etc on a laptop. I would arrive to see 75 instances of ie9 open and 15 ms outlook. The iPad is way more simple and quicker to switch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OctavarIan wrote: »
    User-friendly netbook... I'm sure that's an oxymoron :p

+1 couldn't get used to the chiclet keys so offloaded my netbook to a friend and bought an iTouch instead for mobile access. Can definitely see that a netbook would not be suitable for an older person.

There are models of mobile phone specifically designed for older people which feature giant keys, I find it very odd that someone would suggest going in the opposite direction with a PC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Decided that the iPad 2 is the way to go for my Mum. 16GB will do the job. I think she'll be initially scared of it but will warm to it quickly. Thanks for everyone's input.

Ordered on-line Wed night, arrived this morning (Fri) at 9am sharp.

Went with the free engraving for The Teen, hoping to score some brownie points with a couple of lines from The Matrix :cool:

You can use 32 characters, including spaces. Would add a real personal touch for your mum perhaps.......maybe a quote from a favourite poem or a saying she says.

Hope she enjoys it!

Advertisement