Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Il Fico - Kilcullen

Options
  • 30-10-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, does anybody know when this is opening. Apparently it's owned by the same people as Il Fico in Naas, so I'm hoping the bring their nice food at great prices with them! The sign says "opening soon" - anybody know how soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Whispered wrote: »
    Hey, does anybody know when this is opening. Apparently it's owned by the same people as Il Fico in Naas, so I'm hoping the bring their nice food at great prices with them! The sign says "opening soon" - anybody know how soon?

Heard about it alright - not sure on the date but there are lights on there most evenings so I guess it's soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Opened on Sat, have not eaten there yet, but have seen inside - vary nice job indeed. Will be trying it out sometime in the next few weeks, will report back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Where in Kilcullen is it located.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

At the bridge where the Riverside was, you know beside the off license and across the bridge from the credit union.

We ate here last weekend so I thought I'd let you know how we got on.

The interior is much the same as it was - beautiful. The lady taking our booking was friendly, the greeting at the bar was friendly. The atmosphere was very mellow and laid back thanks to the piano player, and when you walk in you feel like you're somewhere a little bit more special than your average restaurant.

I was disappointed at where we were seated, just inside the door away from the piano, we could still hear perfectly, but felt a bit like we were stuck in a corner. I'm sure had we requested we would have been moved and the next time we go we might do that. Although tucked away in our own little corner was very romantic! And we weren't once missed or forgotten by the waiting staff, which was a problem when it was The Riverside.

I can't say enough for the waiting staff - among the best service I got anywhere. Friendly and efficient and welcoming. Like they enjoy working there. Then there was a man, who I assume is the owner or manager walking around checking customers are ok, which I think was a nice touch.

It's a typical Italian menu, but with things like figs and goats cheese on the menu, it's again that bit more special. There is a slight lack of vegetarian choice on the menu, but I hope that as they settle in this might be rectified. My husband had the special of the night, slow roasted lamb, and said it was fab. I had pasta which was really lovely too. I'd like to try their pizza as the table down from us had one and we could hear them talk about how lovely it was.

Dessert was a hot choc brownie but they did have tiramisu on the menu which for me would usually be the highlight of eating in an Italian. So another thing to try the next time we go.

Price came to less than €80 for 2 starters (soups) 2 main courses 1 dessert and a bottle of wine.

Well worth a visit - the best part for me was the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

for pizzas its the only place in Naas I will get mine...best in the town

The layout of the restaurant in Naas is not the best along the main narrow corridor and at the front, but if you can get a table in the back it is better

Disappointed to hear the Riverside is closed. Had a decent meal in there earlier in the year and vowed to go back. Seeing as its now Il Fico, I still have no reason not to...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 auldnag

I ate here in the last week and it was much the same as the sister restaurant in Naas. Poor to say the leastl. Beautiful interior but that was about all that was positive about it. I don't mean to sound overlycriitical but when a restaurant has just opened in the last 2 weeks you have certain expectations.
    Firstly, the place had obviously not been polished as I notice a layer of dust building up on the picture frame hanging beside me on the wall. This was also a problem that I noticed in the sister restaurant in Naas, the shelves needed a good dusting. this is something that is so easily avoided and should go without saying at any standard restaurant. its a place where you eat so a high level of hygiene is to be expected.
    The waitresses were friendly but the one in particular that was serving my table had poor english and she was also wearing high heels which were particular noisey on the wooden floors in the restaurant. this meant that she had to tippy toe around the restaurant the entire time to try and lessen the noise. This should not have been tolerated by management and shows a lack of professionalism on the managements part.
    I ordered a seafood spaggetti dish which I can only describe as being bland but yet salty, very salty. I wouldn't be that fussy when it comes to the flavour of a meal, I will finish a meal even if it doesn't taste great but this spagetti dish was not enjoyable at all.
    My friend ordered the steak which was accompanied by a salad garnish, they type of salad that you get with your sandwich at o'briens sandwich bar. Iceberg lettuce topped with a ring of red onion and slice of tomato. If you are trying to portray your restaurant as sophisticated then this type of side salad is a joke.
    The menu had far too many option, similar to a chinese/indian take-away restaurant. I'm surprised the dishes didn't have numbers listed beised them on the menu.
    Finally and most disappointing was the fact that we went into the restaurant at 8.30pm on Sunday evening and we were told that they close early on a Sunday evening but lucky enough for us the chef aggreed to keep the cooker on for a while longer!! Need I say no more! I will not be going here again.

Well you've just given me a fantastic excuse to go again :D maybe I was lucky with a particularly good experience and your experience was the norm, maybe it's the other way around. I really better go again to find out. haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ais12

I couldn't believe it when I read your review! I've been in that restaurant many times since its opened and I think it's fabulous! Are you sure we're talking the same place? I found it to be immaculate, the floor were polished and every glass was shinning! The staff and service is impeccable and they even know us by first name already! The food is delicious! The salads are yummy with dressings to die for! The pizzas are the real deal with really think crispy bases! The prices, the food and the staff are fantastic! I haven't heard a bad word about the place and I'm from the area! Maybe you should try it again when your not suffering from
    Pms!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..and perhaps you could try dropping the attitude towards other posters...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ais12

I could do that but I feel very strongly about this! Take care!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Call me suspicious...but 2 posts and all just in this thread??

W.

Call me suspicious...but 2 posts and all just in this thread??

W.

you read my mind!

Advertisement