Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height adjustable wall mounted desk solutions?

Options
  • 30-10-2011 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I'm looking to mount a desk surface (approx 1m sqared) to a wall (in a corner) but want to be able to adjust the height of the desk on the fly, while it's loaded with a PC etc.
    The desk surface would only have to rise and fall about 60cm, so that I could sit or stand.

Does anyone know of any sliding shelf mounts or the like that could do this?

They'd have to be heavy duty I'm guessing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Hi,

I picked up a pair of trestles from Ikea .. http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40134371/ This one is height adjustable from 71 to 93cm high but that might not be enough height for you if you want to stand. There may be other types of trestles somewhere else with that height range.

H.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Not quite what I'm looking for, was hoping for something that can move the desk from sitting height to standing height reasonably quickly, while loaded.
    There's desks available, all around €500 though.

Some thing like a vertical version of this maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Have a look on www.hafele.ie
    They have some motorised versions of what your after..... but they aren't cheap, give them a call though, they may do a manual version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Is it a lap top of a full blown computer?

One idea is to have 2 desktops, one fixed and the other loose.
    Using 4 vertical runs of adjustable shelving bar eg http://uk.elfa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_13152_13552_23204_44_40278_40277_40243_ProductDisplayErrorView [wallband shelving from elfa as an example]

If you didnt want to fix it to the walls you could make a 2m high corner unit and fix vertical runs to it

The other notion is to have 60 mm box as the legs and 50 mm box will slide inside that with matching holes drilled for cotter pins

Another notion is threaded bar with nuts welded to angle iron and up and down with a cordless drill, this idea is what raises and drops the thicknesser table on my planer except there is a chain with cogged wheels that turns all 4 at the same time in the same direction.

You could hide the chain in the bottom table top...:)

earpiece wrote: »
    Have a look on www.hafele.ie
    They have some motorised versions of what your after..... but they aren't cheap, give them a call though, they may do a manual version.

Thanks, will give them a bell.
    Carlow52 wrote: »
    Is it a lap top of a full blown computer?

One idea is to have 2 desktops, one fixed and the other loose.
    Using 4 vertical runs of adjustable shelving bar eg http://uk.elfa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_13152_13552_23204_44_40278_40277_40243_ProductDisplayErrorView [wallband shelving from elfa as an example]

If you didnt want to fix it to the walls you could make a 2m high corner unit and fix vertical runs to it

The other notion is to have 60 mm box as the legs and 50 mm box will slide inside that with matching holes drilled for cotter pins

Another notion is threaded bar with nuts welded to angle iron and up and down with a cordless drill, this idea is what raises and drops the thicknesser table on my planer except there is a chain with cogged wheels that turns all 4 at the same time in the same direction.

You could hide the chain in the bottom table top...:)

It's a full desktop computer, and I was hoping to mount a couple of monitors on 60cm arms onto the desk surface.

Some imaginative solutions there Carlow42.

Is it something you might be interested in taking on as a commission:D?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Just had a quick look on the hafele site for ya OP:

They do the IDEA+ range of desks etc however manual adjust systems only have 200mm or so of movement, there is an electrical system that goes from 605mm to 1280mm but its a saucy bit of kit by the time you have controllers etc.

If i was in your position i'd be looking at track systems that are designed for wheelchair access. Hafele do the Flexi corner set, its a good bit cheaper than the IDEA+ range, The drawback is you only get 300mm of movement (650mm - 950mm).

The other simple solution i can think of is to fix your desk at the standing height & then get a higher stool (works for me at work anyway :D)

Thanks for that Elbow, I hadn't found that stuff on the site until you posted.

The hand cranked legs don't have much range of motion alright.

This IDEA+ Motion modular end frame does:

633.03.222P1.JPEG

• Adjustable for left or right hand
    • Motor driven variable vertical adjustment from 605-1280 mm
    • Lifting speed: 43 mm/sec
    • Lifting power: 600N (1200N/frame)
    • Connecting load: 230V AC, 50Hz, 200W (400W frame)
    • 1 set of fixing screws, 3 black plastic end caps and 1 table top support included
    • Silver coloured RAL 9006 plastic coated steel
    • Order rails and control and operating device seperately - see Related System Parts
    For each table 2 end frames, 3 same length rails and 1 control and operating device required
    N.B. Please click on the images for full dimensions
    Please CALL for price

By the time you add up the parts highlighted in red it could come to quite a lot.

Ideally I suppose I'm looking for something like the desk above with monitors clamped onto it with something like this:

639.67.300P1.JPEG

I'm going to try and register with the site tomorrow to get some prices, although it says you have to be a tradesman to get prices or make an order.

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Another notion is threaded bar with nuts welded to angle iron and up and down with a cordless drill

I really like this solution, reckon it could be done a lot cheaper than Hafele.

Can't picture it though. Anyone have any idea on how exactly you'd implement that solution and end up with something like the Hafele desk:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Thanks for that Elbow, I hadn't found that stuff on the site until you posted.

The hand cranked legs don't have much range of motion alright.

This IDEA+ Motion modular end frame does:

• Adjustable for left or right hand
    • Motor driven variable vertical adjustment from 605-1280 mm
    • Lifting speed: 43 mm/sec
    • Lifting power: 600N (1200N/frame)
    • Connecting load: 230V AC, 50Hz, 200W (400W frame)
    • 1 set of fixing screws, 3 black plastic end caps and 1 table top support included
    • Silver coloured RAL 9006 plastic coated steel
    • Order rails and control and operating device seperately - see Related System Parts
    For each table 2 end frames, 3 same length rails and 1 control and operating device required
    N.B. Please click on the images for full dimensions
    Please CALL for price

By the time you add up the parts highlighted in red it could come to quite a lot.

Ideally I suppose I'm looking for something like the desk above with monitors clamped onto it with something like this:

I'm going to try and register with the site tomorrow to get some prices, although it says you have to be a tradesman to get prices or make an order.

I've got a trade account with them so if you have a problem registering let me know what you want priced and i'll give them a bell

An update on this, maybe it'll help someone else:

After much searching this "multitable" at €200 seems to be the cheapest (quality) solution, the table surface is raised by a hand crank.
    I've just emailed them with some queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey, did you ever get something sorted for this? I've a similar thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057128860

If you see the last post I made [#9 at time of writing], you'll see I linked to the best of what I've found so far but it's a bit pricey and I'll need a desk already.

My request is somewhat different in that I only use a laptop. Ideally I'd like it to be freestanding and quite compact with the laptop screen and a wireless keyboard on different levels for comfort and good posture, which can then be,as a whole, adjusted vertically to sit or stand with ease. I was thinking something wall mounted but might be best to have it freestanding, but then stability might be an issue..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just thought I'd post here to say I finally found something suitable.

I just placed an order for the below @ £247 delivered (came in around 300.90 eur on my card, probably end up around €303 after foreign currency fees etc). There's no much in terms of demonstrations and the likes out there on youtube so I might do a video review and assembly once I get it. One thing though is that it's not really meant as a sitting desk although it does adjust down in height but I reckon it will be fine, or I'll get a higher chair!

Here's the link and from what I could see the cheapest place to get them delivered to Ireland: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001MS70Z2/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Advertisement