Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker spaniel with heart murmur

Options
  • 30-10-2011 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

My 8 year old cocker spaniel was diagnosed with a heart murmur a few months ago, it was only a grade 2 on the scale so the vet said it was fine for now unless worse symptoms develop.
    I was just wondering if anyone has experience of the level deterioration that goes on before a dog would need to go on medication?
    Haven't really noticed any deterioration, but I'm concerned that we'll miss something and she'll get sicker. :(

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My only experience of dogs with heart murmurs is a dog my granny had when we were growing up. It was picked up when he was about 3 or 4, they were told he would need tablets in the future and to watch for symptoms. He was 14 before he showed any symptoms, the vet decided he may have been born with it, he lived until almost 17 and had to be put to sleep due to cancer.
    So don't worry too much, that dogs played football, ran with kids on bikes, swam, chased tennis balls like a demon and generally was on the move all the time, its not a death sentence, just keep and eye on her and keep her weight down.
    Hope you get many more years with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My dog also has a grade 2 heart murmur, he's a 6 year old lab/staffie mix and was diagnosed about a year ago. Had to get a couple of kg's off him (done that), vet said keep the weight down and stable most important and just keep an eye, if he starts really slowing down, not wanting to do what he usually does excercise wise etc then bring him in, otherwise he just gets monitored every few months and he's absolutely fine, vet said tablets would probably be inevitable in the future but for now he's okay. Luckily we already had him insured so any medication in the future will be covered.

Don't worry about it too much, just make keep your dog at a healthy weight and be aware of any changes in behaviour and talk to your vet anytime you're concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Our King Charles had a heart murmur & was epileptic from a very early stage. Lived to be 10 & it was only in the last few months that he slowed down.
    Keep your dog well exercised & on a healthy diet & he'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

Thanks for the advice it's a load off my mind to hear stories of dogs with heart murmurs that have lived long lives :)
    After reading this board i'm starting to realise that in hindsight the breeder where we got her probably wasn't all that reputable (very old mother, loads of different age puppies ,both golden and black cocker pups on sale ), so i'm worried that this could affect her prognosis too!
    We're going to try to keep her weight down anyway and keep up the exercise which she loves so that's a good sign:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ising4joy

I have a cocker named Lady she is almost 10yrs old, she was diagnosed with heart murmur when she was a puppy, she has never had any problems what so ever...

• Advertisement
Advertisement