Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed the best bet of the year

Options
  • 30-10-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

yesterday.
    Mate just told me that Paddy Power were giving evens for a goal to be scored in all 8 PL matches on Saturday!
    I reckoned this was at best an 4/6-8/11 shot.
    Of course it was a winner :(.
    I have told my mate the next time he sees an offer like that to ring me or he will be "an ex mate"!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sounds big, was it for the 10 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

it was for the 8 saturday games.

By backing over 0.5 goal in each game it worked out at 1.28 on PP or something like 1.49 on bet365.

So 1/1 was a good bet alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Last week they did a Golf Double Garcia & Donald 100/1 = Winner
    This week another double Garcia & McIlroy - McIlory just won and Garcia is a 1/2 shot now.
    Must have cost them a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Roughly 1 in every 10 matches is a 0-0 which means that a fair price for Over 0.5 goals should be 1/9

An eight-fold of 1/9 shots gives 2.32 so Evens is not really that great

I wouldn't be using high-street odds of Over 0.5 goals to determine the correct price of this bet. The best price for this market for the Spurs vs QPR match is 1/33 (bet365) but you can lay 0-0 on BF at 20.0

Actually that 18.5/1 for 0-0 today is way too big - think I'll have a tenner on that!

Surely the teams that were playing each other would have a major bearing on the prices i.e. MU v W Brom 0-0 would be a totally different price to Chelsea/Arsenal.

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Surely the teams that were playing each other would have a major bearing on the prices i.e. MU v W Brom 0-0 would be a totally different price to Chelsea/Arsenal.

True but it's no 1/33 shot, no matter what teams are playing - that would make 0-0 a 33/1 shot

I've a spreadsheet in work so I'll have a look on Wednesday and come back to you

DB74 wrote: »
    Actually that 18.5/1 for 0-0 today is way too big - think I'll have a tenner on that!

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

another double Garcia & McIlroy

Another punter result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I posted this in the Football betting thread last Friday. Yes i did back it as the last 0-0 was at the end of Sep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Would like to know how the opening poster came up with his fair prices.

• Advertisement

Best bet of the year still goes to paddy powers champo league final offer.

That will never be matched I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

What was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I can't remember but remember they did a crazy bet that cost them big..was it barca at evens?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

it was money back on all usual markets e.g first goal scorer, correct score etc if Barca won in 90mins

What was that?

If Barcelona won in 90 minutes they refunded all corect score first goalscorer bets and scorecasts.
    I remember it because l laid out 100 on corect scores and hit the 3-1 at 16/1 and got the rest refunded.
    I think l had the 1-1 draw 2-2 and man utd 1-0 2-0 2-1
    and then 5 barcelona scores aner all for a tener each.

lm sure plenty did what l did aswell.

The best PP special EVER tho was when Dunguib was odds on at cheltenham
    and they were refunding all bets if he won.

l laid out 700 in loads of PP shops and if any of the field won bar Dunguib l would of got 1000 back or if Dunguib won then the 700 money back.

But l fancied Dunguib so l put the potential put 300 profit on Dunguib in ladbrokes at 1/1 so now l was hoping he'd win so l'd get 600 from ladbrokes and 700 back from PP.

He lost but luckily for me the horse that won drifted from the 9/1in the morning to 12/1 so l got 1300 back from pp.
    300 profit but if l had'nt of done Dunguib in ladbrokes it would of been 600.

It was great going into the 2nd race of cheltenham up 300 .

Sorry for the aftertiming but its not realy it's just taking advantage of specials.

The best bookie special l ever saw tho was in a independent bookies Tom Floods around 13 years ago.

He had got new lotto slops in for the uk lotto and as a special he was offering 40% off all lotto bets done on these slips.
    But l spotted that you could back every single number in singles and you were guaranteed to win :eek:.
    I think it was 5/1 for picking 1 number out and by backing every number you'd be gauranteed to get 6 numbers up and the bonus.

But the maths were something like £10 on each number x 49 numbers =£490 less the 40% discount £196 = £294 is all you had to give him.

but a £10 on 1 number at 5/1 is £60 times 7 numbers is £420 back.

I could'nt lose.

The problem was he only had 3 shops so l had to keep going around the 3 shops puting on 1 or 2 numbers at a time and putting them into the marked envelope with shop name on it.

The special was meant to run for a good few weeks but after 1 draw he took the signs down.
    When l was getting paid in 1 of the shops the guy behind the counter told me the special was over because someone had backed all numbers and could'nt lose.
    l just looked all shocked and said no way .:pac:

Unfortunatly at the time l was broke so did'nt get that much on but even now after 13 years l still have a little chuckle every now and again when l think about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The best special i ever saw was with masion.com in 2006 on the preseason of the NFL, basically if you signed up they gave you a free bet up to $880 if it think Miami won and if they did not they would refund you, you could withdraw straight away as well.
    Miami won and i was $880 richer took the money out and ran.
    There was a thread at the time about it here on boards must dig it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

After a bit of searching i found it lads http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054982655.

I think it was "Refund all losing bets if Barca win in 90 mins"

• Advertisement

Haha JJ can't believe they did that.

Arb has never been so easy

robbie1977 wrote: »
    The best bookie special l ever saw tho was in a independent bookies Tom Floods around 13 years ago.

He had got new lotto slops in for the uk lotto and as a special he was offering 40% off all lotto bets done on these slips.
    But l spotted that you could back every single number in singles and you were guaranteed to win :eek:.
    I think it was 5/1 for picking 1 number out and by backing every number you'd be gauranteed to get 6 numbers up and the bonus.

But the maths were something like £10 on each number x 49 numbers =£490 less the 40% discount £196 = £294 is all you had to give him.

but a £10 on 1 number at 5/1 is £60 times 7 numbers is £420 back.

I could'nt lose.

The problem was he only had 3 shops so l had to keep going around the 3 shops puting on 1 or 2 numbers at a time and putting them into the marked envelope with shop name on it.

The special was meant to run for a good few weeks but after 1 draw he took the signs down.
    When l was getting paid in 1 of the shops the guy behind the counter told me the special was over because someone had backed all numbers and could'nt lose.
    l just looked all shocked and said no way .:pac:

Unfortunatly at the time l was broke so did'nt get that much on but even now after 13 years l still have a little chuckle every now and again when l think about it.

That is my favourite part haha

robbie1977 wrote: »
    The best PP special EVER tho was when Dunguib was odds on at cheltenham and they were refunding all bets if he won.

The best thing about this was that Celtic had a special of money back if Dunguib LOST

So I backed the next 5 in the market in both shops and effectively got double the odds on them all

Won about €500 on that race which set me up nicely for the week

And we all know what happened to Celtic.

Money back if the favourite lost? How could that possibly have not been caught before being advertised?

Money back if the favourite lost? How could that possibly have not been caught before being advertised?

It wasn't a mistake, it was a genuine special offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Guy I know who likes to have the odd bet, found out one day that Paddy Power had opened a book on the name of a new product release for a certain large multinational. Well, this guys brother happened to be working for the same company.
    His brother wouldn't tell him the name, but responded with a deafening silence when asked if it was a 'certain name'.
    He won a few quid.;)

Advertisement