Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringed Goldfinch

Options
  • 29-10-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I had a juvenile ringed Goldfinch visit the garden yesterday.

Just wondering where it might have been ringed?

I got very close to it in the garden before it disappeared. I had to move it along as the local cat was on the prowl.

Not sure if the fact it was ringed allowed me to get so close or just a coincidence that it was a juvenile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

It will either
    have been ringed in the nest as a chick
    mist netted after it left the nest and ringed
    an escaped aviary bred bird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

donal2000 wrote: »
    I had a juvenile ringed Goldfinch visit the garden yesterday.

Just wondering where it might have been ringed?

I got very close to it in the garden before it disappeared. I had to move it along as the local cat was on the prowl.

Not sure if the fact it was ringed allowed me to get so close or just a coincidence that it was a juvenile?

Mark/swifts need our help! is spot on, and the only way of taking this any further is by reading the ring with binoculars or a telescope (or with a camera)

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A silver or coloured ring?
    Left or right leg?

In my experience a BTO ring is sliver and on right leg and impossible to read a ring of this size without bird in hand!. The number contains 6 or 7 characters and ring needs to be turned to read full number.

Advertisement