Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology through arts/HDip conversion Psych

Options
  • 29-10-2011 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Moving this here as advised!:)

Can someone help me try to understand this please?
    Im currently studying Level 5 (Minor) Psychology at the moment, with the full intention of heading to college next year to continue study of the above subject, hopefully anyway.

I would love to go to Nuig, but it seems a difficult task!
    If i study the psychology through Arts for the three years and manage to pass, can i then do this 1 year post grad H Diploma Psychology conversion course (Acredited?) finally allowing me to then go on and finally do the Postgrad DPsychSc many, many years later? (All at nuig)

Also, will the psychology through arts coupled with the HD Psych conversion be equivalent to that of the BA Psych course that i am unfortunately unable get nowhere near at nuig, being a mature?

Although its a long ways away, i want to hopefully have the psychology as a career at the end, so its important for me to get my information right on this. ie. doing the proper acredited courses and little things like that.

Jaysus, maybe i should just go to UL!

Thanks in advance everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

If i study the psychology through Arts for the three years and manage to pass, can i then do this 1 year post grad H Diploma Psychology conversion course (Acredited?) finally allowing me to then go on and finally do the Postgrad DPsychSc many, many years later? (All at nuig)

If you're accepted onto the Arts course, pass all 4 of your 1st year Arts subjects outright (first time around, no repeats) and get a sufficiently high grade in Psychology in 1st year, you can progress to either 2nd year Psychological Studies. If you pass all 4 subjects outright and do particularly well in 1st year Psychology you may be able to progress to denominated Psychology in 2nd year (in that case it would be your sole degree subject).
    Also, will the psychology through arts coupled with the HD Psych conversion be equivalent to that of the BA Psych?

If you go either of the above routes, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

great info there western night, thank you very much:D
    Are you doing it or have done it yourself?
    im just wondering about the risky side of doing it, ie. not getting through to 2nd year pcych studies. I suppose if i didnt then really i have no business studying psychology in the first place:(

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Are you doing it or have done it yourself?
    im just wondering about the risky side of doing it, ie. not getting through to 2nd year pcych studies.

I'm in final year Psych Studies.

You run that risk no matter what way you go about it. You're never guaranteed to get through, but if you apply yourself to the work and engage with the subject then you give yourself a very good chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

ok. theres just one other thing. what happens with the other subject id be doing along with psych (presuming i get into 2nd/final year with psych)? say id keep english or history and psych from first year. what good will the english/history degree be to me? can i teach with it at second level? Apologies for sounding fully retarded and i admit i am not very informed on any of these things.
    Thanks for your help.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KatieDot

Hi,

Just a post as I myself went down this route. BA Psychology in NUIG, got a scholorship for my first year results (1:1) but just missed the cut for pure psych (I was 11th in the year of 200 but only the first 10 got places). Did psych studies and gain graduated with first class honours 1:1.
    I was offered a place in the conversion but due to family emergency had to return to dublin.

its harder then it looks. a lot of my friends missed out and were left terrified after they failed to get a place in the conversion. The only other options you then have is a two year course in trinity or UCD - both crazy expensive (12k min).

I now have been working in the field through social care, volunteering and refuges etc. paid for two years and am going to have to return to galway in sept (hopefully if they will offer me a place - fingers crossed) to study the conversion course.

I have A masters in a psychology associated field and published my thesis in a psych journal. Ive been studing with the open university, e.g. child development and additionally have completed fetac studies in challenging behaviour, aba etc (professional courses to add to my c.v. for working).

Psychology is a long route and my advise would be that no matter how experienced you need psi letters before you can do anything. thus, if you can at all. go down a route that would give you straight psychology (i.e. three or four year degree course - psi accredited).

NUIG is the most amazing place on earth (Im biased) and i loved it. But it aint an easy route straight through to psych. And the danger is as a mature, if something changes - like it did for me needing to be dublin based for the next few years - you can be left with nothing other than an arts degree.

hope i dont sound too negative - it is very possible and im actually happy to have taken the longer route but it is deffo harder if you dont do a psi course from the very begining - NUIG B.A. it is a great course and a fab place! best of luck. hope this helps in some way :-)

katie

• Advertisement
Advertisement