Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant and cut hours

Options
  • 29-10-2011 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there.

My girlfriend is 4 months pregnant. Her manager ask her that she can working until 23pm work. She brought letter from doctor about she can working just until 9pm because she is too tired working until 23pm and she has back pain from standing work. When she brought the letter her boss cut her hours and days. Before this event she worked 3 days weekly/24hours. They told her that they cant move her to "health and safety leave" because they have still few hours for her every week, but it wont be know 3 days, but will be ie. one week 1 day, 2 days but do not give her every week 24hours. She is on jobseekers allowance,because they reduced her job last year for 3 days. I'm on jobseekers too. I'm receiving money for both for as an post office, because she is still working and i dont. So she doesnt put any dockets to social office, we have every week same amount. But not it is point. Few months ago ex manager of my girlfriend employed new girl (new girl is now new menager's wife- she was anyway his wife before he was nominated to be new manager). They cut my girlfriend hours because they cant move her for daytime work because she cant litf up any heavy boxes(morning deliveries) and for evening work because she can work just until 9pm. So they can give her afternoon work but without her 24 hours, because they have to be fair with other employers(new girl is working couples months,they sent old sfuff last year for 3days, and they gave work new people and offer them more hours then older workers.). Boss told her about health and safety leave that not full, because they have still few hours for her, but about part time health and safety leave. Is it fair? Can they do something like that?

Thanks for any help. I hope you understood what i wrote here. Sorry for mess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Hi there.

My girlfriend is 4 months pregnant. Her manager ask her that she can working until 23pm work. She brought letter from doctor about she can working just until 9pm because she is too tired working until 23pm and she has back pain from standing work. When she brought the letter her boss cut her hours and days. Before this event she worked 3 days weekly/24hours. They told her that they cant move her to "health and safety leave" because they have still few hours for her every week, but it wont be know 3 days, but will be ie. one week 1 day, 2 days but do not give her every week 24hours. She is on jobseekers allowance,because they reduced her job last year for 3 days. I'm on jobseekers too. I'm receiving money for both for as an post office, because she is still working and i dont. So she doesnt put any dockets to social office, we have every week same amount. But not it is point. Few months ago ex manager of my girlfriend employed new girl (new girl is now new menager's wife- she was anyway his wife before he was nominated to be new manager). They cut my girlfriend hours because they cant move her for daytime work because she cant litf up any heavy boxes(morning deliveries) and for evening work because she can work just until 9pm. So they can give her afternoon work but without her 24 hours, because they have to be fair with other employers(new girl is working couples months,they sent old sfuff last year for 3days, and they gave work new people and offer them more hours then older workers.). Boss told her about health and safety leave that not full, because they have still few hours for her, but about part time health and safety leave. Is it fair? Can they do something like that?

Go to your local citizens information office, if they think you have been treated unfairly they will tell you who to contact. As far as I am aware, if your girlfriend was employed for evenings, and now cannot work those evenings, they are not obliged to offer her afternoon work. Either way, go to the citizens information office and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hi there.

Couldn't understand what you were saying. Presumably English is not your first language?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Does she have a contract?

From the employers point of view they are accomadating her, obviously it very early for h/s leave, you could be better off with her making her own JSA application in her own name and submitting dockets.

I understand what you are saying about the new employee and how that person is getting the hours that would suit your girlfriend but I dont think you can really argue this.

The Citizens Advice Bureau would be able to look further into this for you.

Advertisement