Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do on your days off?

Options
  • 29-10-2011 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Do you make the most of living in London?

Before I came here I imagined myself spending every weekend seeing the sights and going for walks along the river bank and having great nights out in amazing clubs but since I've been here I do even less than I did back home! I've gotten lazy with the thought of having to go on a tube for 45 minutes (delays and changing at Kings Cross included).

I also go out less (to the pub/clubs) than I did back home because I actually don't know many people here. The people I do know are acquaintances as opposed to friends.

I'm determined now to make the most of being here. Going to have a look at the tate modern later and if the weather stays dry go for a cycle around Hyde Park or something.

What do you do on your days off here?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

When I arrived here last year with my friend, we spent every weekend exploring. Sometimes it was simply strolling around our locality, other times we'd travel on the tube for an hour to central London and check out the sites. It helped that any visitors we had wanted to see certain things, so we got to see a lot of London very quickly.

Since my friend went home I've moved to a new area so I've new places to check out. I've also been going to food festivals, visiting the markets in Camden and meeting lots of different groups of people (including our lovely London boardsies).

Today I'm going to trawl the charity shops with a friend and go for lunch in West Hampstead. Intended to go out for Halloween later but not sure what I'm doing yet.

That said, it's nice to have lazy days too to recharge the batteries!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

When I first got here and was looking for work I made the effort to 'do things' like musuems etc but then the money started running out.. now I work 9-6, so the eves are spent in to be honest and the weekends are quiet; personally I am not a fan of the tubes (I know!) so the thoughts of spending ages on them getting somewhere on my days off when I spend so much time mon-fri on them makes me tired at the thought!!

Pure lazy though, I'll admit. I'll bake, cook, read and eat before heading cityside these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

ICANN wrote: »
    I also go out less (to the pub/clubs) than I did back home because I actually don't know many people here. The people I do know are acquaintances as opposed to friends.
    I find that Londoners are pretty open about making the transition from acquaintance to friend (especially the wimmens) - far more so than Dubliners, in my experience. There’s a bit more of a ‘New York’ attitude here toward exchanging numbers and meeting for drinks/coffee that doesn’t really exist in Ireland – take advantage of it. Londoners have a thoroughly underserved reputation for being unfriendly – it’s complete nonsense. They’re just a bit overly formal at times. If you really want to make friends, you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cheetara

I absolutely love London mainly for the fact that there is so much to do.
    The museums alone can take days to view but I love to select a particular area and just stroll around and discover places.
    I agree that Londoners are a lot more friendly than they are made out to be however I do find that you have to plan things in advance if you want to go for a drink etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Cheetara wrote: »
    I agree that Londoners are a lot more friendly than they are made out to be however I do find that you have to plan things in advance if you want to go for a drink etc!!
    That’s true – it’s a bit more difficult to be impulsive here. But the flipside of that is people are less likely to let you down, because plans are often more concrete (relative to Dublin, in my experience at least).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

i tend to only sight see when family or freinds visit, whenever i hava a day off work i usually look forward to having a lasy day. Saying that i have gone to see the national gallery as its a personal interest, but most the time i just like to have the time to do the everyday things.

Advertisement