Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 visa question

Options
  • 29-10-2011 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi all i have a question about a 457 visa,i am a qualified plumber and i know a guy in mount isa,who would sponcer me,BUT i have alot of mate,s in melbourne and i would like to move down there instead,my question is,is it possible for the guy in mount isa to sponcer me and that i wouldnt have to go to mount isa but that i could go straight to melbourne to work prob for a different company,Also guys does anyone know anywhere in ireland that i could talk to some one about visa questions,thanks all:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

well the strict rule is you have to work for who ever sponsored you, you cant work for anyone else not even moonlight in a second job.

If the company is based in Mt Isa and the work is a big plumbing contract in Melbourne then that's ok, if all the work is in Mt Isa then that's where you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You have to work for who ever sponsors you. If you leave that company that boss is obliged to tell immigration and you lose your visa.

you aren't tied to mt Isa, jsut the company. So he could contract you out to other jobs, companies, etc as long as you were his employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

you could always get sponsored by him and try get work in Melbourne with someone who is willing to take over the sponsorship, it would be a lot easier to get a job once your here and all ready have a decent visa status.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

If this person is willing to sponsor you for a 457, would they be able to go the whole hog and sponsor you for employer nominated residency?
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/

Means you actually don't have any work restrictions once the visa is granted, you are a permanent resident as opposed to just on a temporary sponsorship 4 yr visa and can work for who you want.

I am 2 years into a de facto 457 sponsorship and this is the way that our migration lawyer has advised us to extend this to permanent residency

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Hey guys thank you for your reply i was just going through the immi web site and came across this,it says that i can change jobs and sponcer or am i missing something,thanks all
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-sponsor-obs-faq-visa-holder.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

If you're skilled you can set up your own business and sponsor, (even sponcer ;) ) yourself but I think it costs $7000. I have a number of an Irish guy that has a sponsorship company set up out here and he sounds pretty good. Fixed my brother up.

If you're skilled you can set up your own business and sponsor, (even sponcer ;) ) yourself but I think it costs $7000. I have a number of an Irish guy that has a sponsorship company set up out here and he sounds pretty good. Fixed my brother up.

Sponsor yourself, sure why didn't anyone else think of that.

That's pure genus :rolleyes:

Lets I need a skilled Person to work for me, I cant find anyone to do that job :rolleyes:. Ah I think I will Nominate myself for a 457 visa :D

So now I am the Sponsoring employer and applicant at the same time, does that mean if I sack myself I have 28 days to leave the country?

PR costs $2900 far cheaper to apply for that if you are skilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Sponsor yourself, sure why didn't anyone else think of that.

That's pure genus :rolleyes:

Lets I need a skilled Person to work for me, I cant find anyone to do that job :rolleyes:. Ah I think I will Nominate myself for a 457 visa :D

So now I am the Sponsoring employer and applicant at the same time, does that mean if I sack myself I have 28 days to leave the country?

It depends on your situation you mope. :rolleyes:

The guy doesn't want to stay in Mount Isa so this might be a way to help him out. You set up your own company and yes you sponsor yourself.

Of course most people won't be doing this but what would you suggest to the OP? no??? Didn't think so...ya fcukin jinnit

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Hey guys thank you for your reply i was just going through the immi web site and came across this,it says that i can change jobs and sponcer or am i missing something,thanks all
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-sponsor-obs-faq-visa-holder.htm
    That was mentinoed above.
    you can transfer if you have a new employer willing to take on the responsibilities of beign a sponsor. not as easy as it sounds.
    Lets I need a skilled Person to work for me, I cant find anyone to do that job . Ah I think I will Nominate myself for a 457 visa

The company is the sponsor, and the person is the employee.
    I have heard quite recently of somebody doing this. The difference was that he was setting up a company here anyway and wasn't able to go via PR. But did qualify for a 457. I assume he wil ahve other employees.
    I have no idea if he has a chance of getting it. Nor do I have any idea of the details of the comapny, if its him alone or a partnership etc
    The guy doesn't want to stay in Mount Isa so this might be a way to help him out. You set up your own company and yes you sponsor yourself.

However, in the OPs case its a pretty ridiculous suggestion. He won't ahve other employees and he probably wont meet the requirements if he sets up a company.
    Apply for PR, as he is quailified, is a far simplier option.

Of course most people won't be doing this but what would you suggest to the OP? no??? Didn't think so...ya fcukin jinnit

I never said it wouldn't work as am not sure I was just pointing out the irony of it.

No point in your petty abuse, the OP already had more viable options offered earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks for the reply guys,feck i dont know what way is the best solution about getting a visa,i was also thinking about a PR visa,but it seem,s quiet expensive to get,i seen on immi website that the first instalment 2960 dollars and 4110 for the second,or am i looking in the wrong place?so confusing,god if i could get PR for 2900 i would defo go down that route

Cool thanks for the reply guys,feck i dont know what way is the best solution about getting a visa,i was also thinking about a PR visa,but it seem,s quiet expensive to get,i seen on immi website that the first instalment 2960 dollars and 4110 for the second

dont worry about the second instalment unless your wife cant speak a tap of English.

dont worry about the second instalment unless your wife cant speak a tap of English.

LOL Mate:D:D,i am not married thank god,i got out in the nick time;),sorry for all the questions guys but seeing that i am going alone do i have to pay the second instalment?is that only if you are bring famaily over????thanks again lads;);)

LOL Mate:D:D,i am not married thank god,i got out in the nick time;),sorry for all the questions guys but seeing that i am going alone do i have to pay the second instalment?is that only if you are bring famaily over????thanks again lads;);)

that it and you only pay it if they cant speak English, its that simple.

otherwise the 1st instalment is the only one you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Attack the post not the poster - take a 10 day break to cool off

that it and you only pay it if they cant speak English, its that simple.

otherwise the 1st instalment is the only one you have to pay.

OMG that is fantastic news mandrake04 you made my day:D,Thank you to all for helping me out;),I just have a few more questions,can i just verify that the PR visa is a 175 visa?and my other question is,if i get PR would it be possible that i could put my brother as a second Secondary Applicant as he is also looking to go to oz to work and study?Sorry guys last question,how long does it usually take to get a PR visa to come through

175 and 176 is PR.

Realistically your brother probably would need his own visa, unless he was the last living relative you have.

PS.

The processing time for PR can take between 6 and 12 months.

Ok thanks mandrake04 for clearing that up,i was just wondering which the 175 or 176 visa i should go for in your opinion:confused:,also i seen on the website something about working 12 month,s out of the last 24 month,s what that all about

Found an interesting post on another forum that sort of sinks this theory.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/939979-post3.html
    There is no reason why a sole trader cannot become a Standard Business Sponsor under the 457 visa program - but the SBS and the 457 visa applicant cannot be the same person.

As posted by a respected MARA agent as opposed to a scibble on the back of a beer mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Maybe mise_me_fine meant the business visa
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/160/

which would be a visa to set up a company (not 457 yourself) you need at least 100k in assets though (available) and 800k floating around

But you cannot 457 yourself

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    Maybe mise_me_fine meant the business visa
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/160/

which would be a visa to set up a company (not 457 yourself) you need at least 100k in assets though (available) and 800k floating around

But you cannot 457 yourself

Yeah think you are right he did mention setting up a business but maybe he just forgot to mention the $100,000 & $800,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dav2

Hello mise-me-fein3, I'm new to this site and while I was searching about 457 visas your Quote stood out. Im desperate trying to find sponsorship and is there any chance I could have the no. or contact details of the friend who has sponsorship Company. I'm a Carpenter-Joiner and the only way I can get to OZ with my family is this way. Hope you can help, cheers

Advertisement