Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

Options
  • 28-10-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently started a web design course and the time has come to build my site. I am just wondering can someone simply explain the differance of an Index layout and a Strict layout. I understand what they are saying but I can not get the layout in my head.

For my site I am looking at having the homepage, and four other pages which will be selected from the navigation bar. I am right in saying that thats an Index layout???

An example below is

http://www.runireland.com/

See the way you just use the tabs at the top to navigate, is that an Index structure???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

The front or home page of a website usually called the Index page. It is what is usually served up when a visitor types your website domain name into a browser. The default file name for the front page is index.html and the server will look for and serve up this file unless configured otherwise.

The Strict layout you refer to might refer the to Document Type Definition in the first line of the page code.

There are different Doctypes such as Strict, Transitional, HTML5 etc.

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_doctype.asp

If you want to put formatting tags such as <font>, <b> etc. in the same file as the content then you should probably use the Transitional Doctype. If you are separating all the layout and formatting out into an external CSS file go for Strict.

Is this what you meant regarding Index and Strict?

Advertisement