Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water bottle for contractions?

Options
  • 28-10-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hey everyone, here's a question I was talking to my Husband about last night... I know people say that when they're in labour things like a bath/shower helps to ease the pain in the early stages (didn't try it myself last time) but would it be Ok to use a hot water bottle? I used to find this great when I had bad period pains in the past but I'm worried that a hot water bottle might be too hot for the baby, in the same way you're not supposed to have hot baths. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Hot baths drop your blood pressure, which is why they're not always recommended for preg women. It has nothing to do with heating up the baby.

A hot water bottle would be fine for the baby. If it's not too hot for your skin, it's not going to do anything to the baby. If anything it'd be safer than a hot bath b/c the heat is localised.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Makes sense, thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Baths are all that got me through pregnancy!
    I wish Holles st had birthing pools for pain relief.

You might find the hot water bottle makes it worse,you can't have it too hot but can have it warm my small girls would keep kicking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Although if you're having pains the one thing the hospital will recommend is a hot bath :rolleyes: if it's false labour the pains will stop..
    I must have had about 40 scaldy baths in the last few weeks specially after a day's work :eek: although my bump hadn't a hope of getting near the water :D
    I'd imagine the bottle would be too localized to be much help.. if the pain is spreading all across the front of your tummy i wonder would the bottle be big enough?? although if it's in your back it probably would help.. and all the new bottles come with covers to prevent a burn..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

we were told to use a hot water bottle on our back but not our bump at the antenatal classes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

we were told to use a hot water bottle on our back but not our bump at the antenatal classes

You can use the hot water bottle on your back, you will probably find it very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yes, putting one on your back would probably give more relief than on your bump. I did this most days during pregnancy because of back pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 beanser

We were told yesterday at ante natal class in Holles Street that it was fine to use hot water bottles on tummy and back. The physiotherapist also had a 'hot pack' which was like a blue plastic bag thing that you put in the microwave, she said it would stay hot longer than a hot water bottle and also covered a larger area. She said the larger pharmacies should stock them, if not, a medical supply shop.

Advertisement